Globus-Based Grid Computing Simulations of Action Potential Propagation on Cardiac Tissues
With the advent of Grid technologies, the study of the electrical activity of the heart, by means of concurrent parametric simulations of the action potential propagation on cardiac tissues, can be greatly benefited. Studies of the electrical behaviour, such as late ischemia require the execution of multiple computational and memory intensive parametric simulations. This paper describes the integration, into a Grid infrastructure, of a parallel MPI-based system for the simulation of action potential propagation on a three-dimensional parallelepiped-modelled cardiac tissue. Developed upon the Globus Toolkit, it features state-of-the-art capabilities such as data compression, simulation failure recovery, and the combination of parallel execution on distributed resources, what has enabled an outstanding increase in research productivity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Luo, C.H., Rudy, Y.: A Dynamic Model of the Cardiac Ventricular Action Potential. I Simulations of Ionic Currents and Concentration Changes. Circulation Research 74, 1071–1096 (1994)Google Scholar
- 3.Alonso, J.M., Ferrero Jr., J.M., Hernández, V., Moltó, G., Monserrat, M., Saiz, J.: High Performance Cardiac Tissue Electrical Activity Simulation on a Parallel Environment. In: Proceedings of the First European HealthGrid Conference, pp. 84–91 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Anderson, E., Bai, Z., Bischof, C., Blackford, S., Demmel, J., Dongarra, J., Du Croz, J., Greenbaum, A., Hammarling, S., McKenney, A., Sorensen, D.: LAPACK Users’ Guide. Third edn. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Gropp, W.D., Lusk, E.: User’s Guide for MPICH, a Portable Implementation of MPI. Mathematics and Computer Science Division, Argonne National Laboratory (1996)Google Scholar
- 8.Foster, I., Kesselman, C., Nick, J., Tuecke, S.: The Physiology of the Grid: An Open Grid Services Architecture for the Distributed Systems Integration. Infrastructure WG, Global Grid Forum (2002) Google Scholar
- 10.Huedo, E., Montero, R.S., Llorente, I.M.: A Framework for Adaptive Execution on Grids. Software Practice and Experience (2004) (to appear)Google Scholar