A Web-Based CAD System for Learning and Laboratory Purpose
A Web-based CAD system for learning and laboratory purpose is presented in this paper. The system serves as a three-in-one courseware: a pedagogical tool for teaching, an experimental tool for learning and a programming kit for laboratory. As a pedagogical tool, the system can help teachers interactively demonstrate the properties of curves and their associated equations with animations. The same tool can be used by students to play the animations themselves. As a programming kit, the same CAD system allows some CAD functions to be programmable for laboratory purpose. All activities are available on-line through a standard Web browser. A prototype is implemented and a user study is conducted for evaluation of the system. The result shows that the students like the system since it allows them to learn and practice the subject at home.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lowther, J., Shene, C.K.: Teaching B-splines Is Not Difficult? In: Proc. 34th ACM Annual SIGCSE Technical Symposium, Reno, Nevada, pp. 381–385 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Design Mentor, Geometric Computing and Graphics Group, Department of Computer Science, Michigan Technological University, http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/NSF-2
- 4.Li, E.: CAD/CAM Course: Lab, Dept of MEEM, City University of Hong KongGoogle Scholar
- 6.Deitel, H.M.: Java: How to Program, 4th edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Deitel, H.M., Deitel, P.J., Nieto, T.: Internet & World Wide Web: How To Program, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Hall, M., Brown, L.: Core Web Programming, 2nd edn. Sun Microsystem (2001)Google Scholar