Salient Regions for Query by Image Content
Much previous work on image retrieval has used global features such as colour and texture to describe the content of the image. However, these global features are insufficient to accurately describe the image content when different parts of the image have different characteristics. This paper discusses how this problem can be circumvented by using salient interest points and compares and contrasts an extension to previous work in which the concept of scale is incorporated into the selection of salient regions to select the areas of the image that are most interesting and generate local descriptors to describe the image characteristics in that region. The paper describes and contrasts two such salient region descriptors and compares them through their repeatability rate under a range of common image transforms. Finally, the paper goes on to investigate the performance of one of the salient region detectors in an image retrieval situation.
KeywordsImage Retrieval Image Content Interest Point Query Image Salient Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carson, C., Thomas, M., Belongie, S., Hellerstein, J.M., Malik, J.: Blobworld: Image segmentation using expectation-maximization and its application to image querying. In: Third International Conference on Visual Information Systems, Springer, Heidelberg (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Harris, C., Stephens, M.: A combined corner and edge detector. In: Mathews, M.M. (ed.) Proceedings of the 4th ALVEY vision conference, pp. 147–151. University of Mancheste, England (1988)Google Scholar
- 7.Kadir, T.: Scale, Saliency and Scene Description. PhD thesis, University of Oxford, Deptartment of Engineering Science, Robotics Research Group, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Tuytelaars, T., Gool, L.V.: Content-based image retrieval based on local affinely invariant regions. In: Third International Conference on Visual Information Systems, pp. 493–500 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Sivic, J., Zisserman, A.: Video google: A text retrieval approach to object matching in videos. In: Internaional Conference on Computer Vision (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Obdrzalek, S., Matas, J.: Image retrieval using local compact dct-based representation. In: DAGM-Symposium 2003, pp. 490–497 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Gilles, S.: Robust Description and Matching of Images. PhD thesis, University of Oxford (1998)Google Scholar
- 13.Lowe, D.: Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints. To appear in International Journal of Computer Vision (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Lowe, D.: Object recognition from local scale-invariant features. In: Proc. of the International Conference on Computer Vision ICCV, Corfu, pp. 1150–1157 (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.Marr, D.: VISION: A computational Investigation into Human Represenation and Processing of Visual Information. W. H. Freeman and Company (1982)Google Scholar
- 16.Mikolajczyk, K.: Detection of local features invariant to affine transformations. PhD thesis, Institut National Polytechnique de Grenoble, France (2002)Google Scholar
- 18.University of Washington: Ground truth image database (2004), http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/imagedatabase/groundtruth/