Topic Threading for Structuring a Large-Scale News Video Archive
We are building a broadcast news video archive where topics of interest can be retrieved and tracked easily. This paper introduces a structuring method applied to the accumulated news videos. First they are segmented into topic units and then threaded according to their mutual relations. A user interface for topic thread-based news video retrieval is also introduced. Since the topic thread structure is formed so that it has fewer number of emerging links from each topic than a simple link structure of related topics, it should lessen the tedious selection during a tracking process by a user. Although evaluation of the effect of threading and user study on the interface is yet to be done, we have found the interface informative to understand the details of a topic of interest.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Christel, M.G., Hauptmann, A.G., Ng, T.D.: Collages as dynamic summaries for news video. In: Proc. 10th ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia, pp. 561–569 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Kyoto University: Japanese morphological analysis system JUMAN version 3.61Google Scholar
- 4.Merlino, A., Morey, D., Maybury, M.: Broadcast news navigation using story segmentation. In: Proc. 5th ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia, pp. 381–391 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Smeaton, A.F., Lee, H., O’Conner, N.E., Marlaw, S., Murphy, N.: TV news story segmentation, personalization and recommendation. AAAI Press Technical Reports, SS-03-08, 60–65 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Wayne, C.L.: Multilingual topic detection and tracking: Successful research enabled by corpora and evaluation. In: Proc. 2nd Intl. Conf. on Language Resources and Evaluation, vol. 3, pp. 1487–149 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Yamagishi, F., Satoh, S., Hamada, T., Sakauchi, M.: Identical video segment detection for large-scale broadcast video archives. In: Proc. 3rd Intl. Workshop on Content-based Multimedia Indexing, pp. 135–142 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Yang, H., Chaisorn, L., Zhao, Y., Neo, S., Chua, T.: VideoQA: Question and answering on news video. In: Proc. 11th ACM Intl. Conf. on Multimedia, pp. 632–641 (2003)Google Scholar