Attribute Ranking: An Entropy-Based Approach to Accelerating Browsing-Based Component Retrieval
A reuse repository is an essential element in component-based software development (CBSD). Querying-based retrieval and browsing-based retrieval are two main retrieval mechanisms provided in real world reuse repositories, especially web-based repositories. Although browsing-based retrieval is superior to querying-based retrieval in some aspects, the tedious retrieval process is its main drawback. In this paper, we propose a novel approach to overcoming this drawback. The basic idea of our approach is to rank the attributes using the information entropy theory. According to our experimental results on real data, our approach can effectively reduce the length of the retrieval sequence. In other words, this approach is helpful in accelerating the process of browsing-based retrieval.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ayres, R.U.: Information, Entropy and Progress: A New Evolutionary Paradigm. AIP Press (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Casanova, M., Van Der Straeten, R., Jonckers, V.: Supporting Evolution in Componentbased Development Using Component Libraries. In: Proceedings. 7th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering, Benevento, Italy, March 2003, pp. 123–132 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.ComponentSource: Component Source (2004), http://www.componentsource.com/
- 5.Download: Download.com (2004), http://www.download.com/
- 8.Guo, J.: Luqi: A Survey of Software Reuse Repositories. In: Proceedings. 7th IEEE International Conference and Workshop on the Engineering of Computer Based Systems, Edinburgh, Scotland, April 2000, pp. 92–100 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Open-Components (2004), http://www.open-components.com/
- 10.SourceForge: SourceForge.Net (2004), http://sourceforge.net/
- 11.Ye, Y., Fischer, G.: Promoting Reuse with Active Reuse Repository Systems. In: Proceedings. 6th International Conference on Software Reuse, Vienna, Austria, June 2000, pp. 302–317 (2000)Google Scholar
- 12.Ye, Y., Fischer, G.: Context-aware Browsing of Large Component Repositories. In: Proceedings. 16th Annual International Conference on Automated Software Engineering, November 2001, pp. 99–106 (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.Ye, Y., Fischer, G.: Supporting Reuse by Delivering Task-relevant and Personalized Information. In: Proceedings.24rd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2002), Orlando, Florida, USA, May 2002, pp. 513–523 (2002)Google Scholar