A Novel Digitizing Pen for the Analysis of Pen Pressure and Inclination in Handwriting Biometrics
In this paper we introduce a novel multi-functional digitizing pen for the verification and identification of individuals by means of handwritten signatures, text or figures (biometric smart pen, BiSP). Different from most conventional graphics tablets the device measures the kinematics and the dynamics of hand movement during the writing process by recording the pressure (Px, Py, Pz) and inclination (α, β) of the pen. Characteristic behavioral patterns are numerically extracted from the signals and stored in a database. Biometric test samples are compared against reference templates using a rapid feature classification and matching algorithm. A first BiSP prototype based on pressure sensors is available for presentation. Preliminary results obtained from 3D pressure signals demonstrate a remarkable potential of the system for person verification and identification, and suggest further applications in the areas of neurology and psychiatry.
KeywordsFeature Vector Handwriting Recognition Person Authentication Biometric Information Authentication Property
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hook, C., Kempf, J., Scharfenberg, G.: New Pen Device for Biometrical 3D Pressure Analysis of Handwritten Characters, Words and Signatures. In: Proceedings ACM Multimedia Berkeley, USA, pp. 38–44 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Šoule, M., Kempf, J.: Handwritten Text Analysis through Sound. A New Device for Handwritting Analysis. In: Proceedings IWSSIP, Prague, pp. 254–257 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Roy, A.H., Headrick, A.M.: Handwriting Identification. Facts and Fundamentals, 1st edn. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Pirlo, G.: Algorithms for Signature Verification. In: Fundamentals in Handwriting Recognition, pp. 435–454. Springer, Heidelberg (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Rohlík, O., Mautner, P., Matoušek, V., Kempf, J.: HMM Based Handwritten Text Recognition Using Biometrical Data Acquisition Pen. In: Proceedings of the 2003 IEEE International Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Robotics and Automation (CIRA 2003), Kobe, pp. 950–953 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Lange, K.W., Tucha, O., Aschenbrenner, S., Gottwald, D., Eichhammer, P., Putzhammer, A., Sartor, H., Klein, H.: The Effect of Antidepressant Medication on Handwriting of Patients With Depression. In: Proceedings of the 10th Biennial Conference of the International Graphonomics Society, University of Nijmegen, pp. 52–57 (2001)Google Scholar