Enhance the Alignment Accuracy of Active Shape Models Using Elastic Graph Matching
Active Shape Model (ASM) is one of the most popular methods for image alignment. To improve its matching accuracy, in this paper, ASM searching method is combined with a simplified Elastic Bunch Graph Matching (EBGM) algorithm. Considering that EBGM is too time-consuming, landmarks are grouped into contour points and inner points, and inner points are further separated into several groups according to the distribution around salient features. For contour points, the original local derivative profile matching is exploited. While for every group of inner points, two pre-defined control points are searched by EBGM, and then used to adjust other points in the same group by using an affine transformation. Experimental results have shown that the proposed method greatly improves the alignment accuracy of ASM with only a little increase of time requirement since EBGM is only applied to a few control points.
KeywordsControl Point Affine Transformation Active Contour Model Contour Point Alignment Accuracy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Kass, M., Witkin, A., Terzopoulos, D.: Active Contour Models. In: 1st International Conference on Computer Vision, London, June 1987, pp. 259–268 (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.Cootes, T.F., Edwards, G.J., Taylor, C.J.: Active Appearance Models. In: Proceeding of the 5th European Conference on Computer Vision, vol. 2, pp. 484–498 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Ginneken, B.V., Frangi, A.F., et al.: A Non-linear Gray-level Appearance Model Improves Active Shape Model Segmentation. In: IEEE Workshop on Mathematical Models in Biomedical Image Analysis, MMBIA 2001, pp. 205–212 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Rogers, M., Graham, J.: Robust Active Shape Model Search. In: Proceedings of the European Conference on Computer Vision (May 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Wiskott, L., Fellous, J.M., Kruger, N., et al.: Face Recognition by Elastic Graph Matching. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 19(7) (July 1997)Google Scholar
- 7.Wang, W., Shan, S., Gao, W., Cao, B.: An Improved Active Shape Model For Face Alignment. In: The 4th International Conference on Multi-modal Interface, IEEE ICMI 2002, Pittsburgh, USA, October 2002, pp. 523–528 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Bolme, D.S.: Elastic Bunch Graph Matching. Masters Thesis, CSU Computer Science Department (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, B., Gao, W., Shan, S., Wang, W.: Constraint Shape Model Using Edge Constraint And Gabor Wavelet Based Search. In: Kittler, J., Nixon, M.S. (eds.) AVBPA 2003. LNCS, vol. 2688, Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar