Empirical Analysis on the Satisfaction of IT Employees Comparing XP Practices with Other Software Development Methodologies
Job satisfaction has been studied by economists and psychologists. We believe this factor is very important in that it influences the effectiveness of the software development process. This paper reports the first results of a comparative analytic study on the job satisfaction of developers that use XP practices and others that do not use XP practices. By determining the factors that are highly valued by developers, the research can provide insight in currently practised software development processes, and help make changes that increase their strategic value.
KeywordsSoftware Development Interactive Voice Response Software Development Process Pair Program Agile Practice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beck, K.: Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change. Addison Wesley, Boston (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Dillman, D.A.: Mail and Internet Survey: The Tailored Design Methode. John Wiley, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Basili, V.: Applying the Goal/question/metric Paradigm in the Experience Factory. Software Quality Assurance and Measurement: A Worldwide perspective, pp. 21–44. International Thomson Computer Press (1995)Google Scholar
- 4.Dillman, D.A., Phelps, G., Tortora, R., Swift, K., Kohrell, J., Berck, J. (eds.): Response Rate and Measurement Differences in Mixed Mode Survey: Using mail, Telephone, Interactive Voice response and the Internet, Paper available from http://survey.sesrc.wsu.edu/dillman/papers/Mixed
- 5.Punter, T., Ciolkowsi, M., Freimur, B., John, I. (eds.): Conducting On-Line Survey in software Engineering. In: Proceedings of 2003 International Symposium on Empirical software, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Rumpe, B., Schroeder, A.: Quantitative Survey on Extreme Programming Projects. In: Proceedings of XP 2002 Alghero, Sardinia (May 2002), Available at http://www.xp2002.org
- 7.Succi, G., Marchesi, M., Pedrycz, W., Williams, L.: Preliminary Analysis of the Effects of Pair Programming on Job Satisfaction. In: Proceedings of XP 2002 Alghero, Sardinia (May 2002), Available at http://www.xp2002.org