Integrating Model Checking and Theorem Proving in a Reflective Functional Language
Forte is a formal verification system developed by Intel’s Strategic CAD Labs for applications in hardware design and verification. Forte integrates model checking and theorem proving within a functional programming language, which both serves as an extensible specification language and allows the system to be scripted and customized. The latest version of this language, called reFL ect , has quotation and antiquotation constructs that build and decompose expressions in the language itself. This provides combination of pattern-matching and reflection features tailored especially for the Forte approach to verification. This short paper is an abstract of an invited presentation given at the International Conference on Integrated Formal Methods in 2004, in which the philosophy and architecture of the Forte system are described and an account is given of the role of reFL ect in the system.
KeywordsModel Check Theorem Prove Hardware Design High Order Logic Functional Programming Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Grundy, J., Melham, T., O’Leary, J.: A Reflective Functional Language for Hardware Design and Theorem Proving, Research Report PRG-RR-03-16, Programming Research Group, Oxford University (October 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Harper, R., MacQueen, D., Milner, R.: Standard ML, Report 86-2, University of Edinburgh, Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Harrison, J.: Metatheory and Reflection in Theorem Proving: A Survey and Critique, Technical Report CRC-053, SRI Cambridge (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Kaufmann, M., Manolios, P., Moore, J.S. (eds.): Computer-Aided Reasoning: ACL2 Case Studies. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- 14.Matthews, J., Cook, B., Launchbury, J.: Microprocessor specification in Hawk. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Languages, pp. 90–101. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.O’Leary, J., Zhao, X., Gerth, R., Seger, C.-J.H.: Formally Verifying IEEE Compliance of Floating-Point Hardware. Intel Technical Journal (First quarter, 1999), Available at developer.intel.com/technology/itj/
- 17.Seger, C.-J.H., Jones, R.B., O’Leary, J.W., Aagaard, M.D., Barrett, C., Syme, D.: An Industrially Effective Environment for Formal Hardware Verification (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 20.Spirakis, G.: Leading-edge and future design challenges: Is the classical EDA ready? In: Design Automation: 40th ACM/IEEE Conference, DAC 2003, p. 416. ACM Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar