A Differential Method for Parametric Surface Intersection
In this paper, a new method for computing the intersection of parametric surfaces is proposed. In our approach, this issue is formulated in terms of an initial value problem of first-order ordinary differential equations (ODEs), which are to be numerically integrated. In order to determine the initial value for this system, a simple procedure based on the vector field associated with the gradient of the distance function between points lying on each of the parametric surfaces is described. Such a procedure yields a starting point on the nearest branch of the intersection curve. The performance of the presented method is analyzed by means of some illustrative examples that contain many of the most common features found in parametric surface intersection problems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Anand, V.: Computer Graphics and Geometric Modeling for Engineers. John Wiley and Sons, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Barnhill, R.E. (ed.): Geometry Procesing for Design and Manufacturing. SIAM, Philadelphia (1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Choi, B.K., Jerard, R.B.: Sculptured Surface Machining. Theory and Applications. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Farin, G.: An SSI bibliography. In: Barnhill, R. (ed.) Geometry Processing for Design and Manufacturing, pp. 205–207. SIAM, Philadelphia (1992)Google Scholar
- 9.Farin, G., Hoschek, J., Kim, M.S. (eds.): The Handbook of Computer-Aided Geometric Design. North-Holland, Amsterdam (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Iglesias, A.: Computational methods for geometric processing of surfaces: blending, offsetting, intersection, implicitization. In: Sarfraz, M. (ed.) Advances in Geometric Modeling, ch. 5, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.The Mathworks Inc: Using Matlab. Natick, MA (1999)Google Scholar
- 17.Piegl, L., Tiller, W.: The NURBS Book. Springer, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- 18.Press, W.H., Teukolsky, S.A., Vetterling, W.T., Flannery, B.P.: Numerical Recipes, 2nd edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar
- 19.Pratt, M.J., Geisow, A.D.: Surface-surface intersection problems. In: Gregory, J.A. (ed.) The Mathematics of Surfaces, pp. 117–142. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1986)Google Scholar
- 20.Puig-Pey, J., Gálvez, A., Iglesias, A.: A new differential approach for parametricimplicit surface intersection. In: Sloot, P.M.A., Abramson, D., Bogdanov, A.V., Gorbachev, Y.E., Dongarra, J., Zomaya, A.Y. (eds.) ICCS 2003. LNCS, vol. 2657, pp. 897–906. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar