The SAC Test: A New Randomness Test, with Some Applications to PRNG Analysis
A new statistical test for randomness, the SAC test, is presented, together with its results over some well-known generators in the literature. These results are analyzed and some possible applications of the test, as for measuring the strength of cryptographic primitives including block ciphers, stream ciphers and pseudorandom number generators, especially during the design and analysis phase, are detailed. Finally, the source code for the SAC test is provided, which proves some of its other advantages: it is easy to implement, and very fast so well-suited for practical applications.
KeywordsBlock Cipher Stream Cipher Pseudorandom Number Generator Randomness Test Avalanche Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rukhin, A.L.: Testing Randomness: A suite of statistical procedures. SIAM Journal on Theory of Probability and its applications 45 (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Maurer, U.M.: A universal statistical test for random bit generators. In: Menezes, A., Vanstone, S.A. (eds.) CRYPTO 1990. LNCS, vol. 537, pp. 409–420. Springer, Heidelberg (1991)Google Scholar
- 3.Knuth, D.E.: The Art of Computer Programming, 3rd edn., vol. 2. Prentice Hall PTR, Englewood Cliffs (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Marsaglia, G.D.: A battery of tests for randomness (1996), http://stat.fsu.edu/geo/diehard.html
- 5.Soto, J.: Statistical Testing of Random Number Generators. In: Proceedings of the 22nd National Information Systems Security Conference (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Marsaglia, G., Tsang, W.W.: Some Difficult-to-pass Tests of Randomness. Journal of Statistical Software 7(3) (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Center for Information Security and Cryptography (CISC) Library of Tests for Random Number Generators at, http://www.csis.hku.hk/cisc/download/idetect/
- 9.Forre, R.: The strict avalanche criterion: spectral properties of booleans functions and an extended definition. In: Goldwasser, S. (ed.) CRYPTO 1988. LNCS, vol. 403, pp. 450–468. Springer, Heidelberg (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Webster, A., Tavares, S.: On the design of S-boxes. In: Williams, H.C. (ed.) CRYPTO 1985. LNCS, vol. 218, pp. 523–534. Springer, Heidelberg (1986)Google Scholar