Performance Prediction in a Grid Environment
Knowing the performance of an application in a Grid environment is an important issue in application development and for scheduling decisions. In this paper we describe the analysis and optimisation of a computation- and communication-intensive application from the field of bioinformatics, which was demonstrated at the HPC-Challenge of Supercomputing 2002 at Baltimore. This application has been adapted to be run on an heterogeneous computational Grid by means of PACX-MPI. The analysis and optimisation is based on trace driven tools, mainly Dimemas and Vampir. All these methodologies and tools are being extended in the frame of the DAMIEN IST project.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Badia, R.M., Labarta, J., Gimenez, J., Escalé, F.: DIMEMAS: Predicting MPI applications behavior in Grid environments. In: Workshop on Grid Applications and Programming Tools (GGF8) (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Baldwin, R.L., Rose, G.D.: Is protein folding hierarchic? II – Local structure and peptide folding. Tibs 24, 77–83 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Gabriel, E., Keller, R., Lindner, P., Müller, M.S., Resch, M.: Software Development in the Grid: The DAMIEN tool-set. In: Sloot, P.M.A., Abramson, D., Bogdano, A.V., Dongarra, J.J., Zomaya, A.Y., Gorbachev, Y.E. (eds.) ICCS 2003. LNCS, vol. 2659, pp. 235–244. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hofacker, L., Fontana, W., Bonhoeffer, L.S., Tacker, M., Schuster, P.: Vienna RNA Package. Internet (December 2003), http://www.tbi.univie.ac.at/~ivo/RNA
- 7.Müller, M.S., Gabriel, E., Resch, M.: A Software Development Environment for Grid-Computing. In: Concurrency and Computers – Practice and Experience, Issue on Grid computing environments (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Paraver. Internet (December 2003), http://www.cepba.upc.es/paraver
- 9.ST-ORM. Internet (December 2003), http://www.easi.de/storm
- 10.Vampir. Internet (December 2003), http://www.pallas.com/e/products/vampir/index.htm