An Evolutionary Approach to Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows
Recently, the quality and the diversity of transport services are more and more required. Moreover, in case of a great deal of services and selling goods, a significant part of price is transport cost. Thus, the design of models and applications which make possible efficient transport planning and scheduling becomes important. A great deal of real transport problems may be modelled by using Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows (PDPTW) and capacity constraints, which is based on the realization of a set of transport requests by a fleet of vehicles with given capacities. Each request is described by pickup and delivery locations, time periods when pickup and delivery operations should be performed and needed load. Application of evolutionary approach has brought good results in case of another, simpler transport problem – the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows (VRPTW). This paper is aimed at proposing a straightforward extension of VRPTW based heuristics for the PDPTW.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benchmarks – Vehicle Routing and Travelling Salesperson Problems. Updated; April 23 (2003), http://www.sintef.no/static/am/opti/projects/top/vrp/benchmarks.html
- 2.Braysy, O.: Genetic Algorithms for the Vehicle Routing Problem with Time Windows. Arpakanuus 1, special issue on Bioinformatics and Genetic Algorithms (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Cordeau, J.-F., Laporte, G.: The Dial-a-Ride Problem: Variants, Modeling Issues and Algorithms. Les Cahiers du GERAD (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Desaulniers, G., Desrosiers, J., Erdmann, A., Solomon, M.M., Soumis, F.: The VRP with Pickup and Delivery. Les Cahiers du GERAD (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Gendreau, A., Guertin, F., Potvin, J.Y., Séguin, R.: Neighborhood search heuristics for a dynamic vehicle dispatching problem with pick-ups and deliveries. Rapport technique CRT-98-10, Université de Montréal (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Lau, H.C., Liang, Z.: Pickup and Delivery with Time Windows: Algorithms and Test Case Generation. In: Proceeedings of 13th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI 2001), Dallas, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, H., Lim, A.: A Metaheuristic for the Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows. In: Proceedings of 13th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI 2001), Dallas, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Lim, H., Lim, A., Rodrigues, B.: Solving the Pick up and Delivery Problem using ”Squeaky Wheel” Optimization with Local Search. In: Proceedings of American Conference on Information Systems, AMCIS 2002, Dallas, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Mitrowic-Minic, S.: Pickup and Delivery Problem with Time Windows: A Survey. SFU CMPT TR. 1998-12 (1998), ftp://fas.sfu.ca/pub/cs/techreports/1998