An Agent-Based E-engineering Services Framework for Engineering Design and Optimization
This paper presents an ongoing project on the application of intelligent software agents to engineering design and optimization. In this project, an agent-based e-engineering services framework for engineering design and optimization is proposed and being developed based on several advanced technologies, such as agents, Internet/Web, workflow and database. This framework aims at providing integrated or individual engineering services over the Internet that benefits small and medium enterprises (SMEs). A software prototype is currently being implemented using intelligent agents to integrate various engineering software tools. Scalability, intelligent load balancing and distributed decision-making are among the main characteristics that are highly expected from this system. A wheel-axle-assembly (part of a bogie system) is chosen as the test part of this prototype system.
KeywordsMultidisciplinary Design Optimization Software Prototype Directory Facilitator Blow Molding Intelligent Software Agent
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Shen, W., Norrie, D.H., Barthès, J.P.: Multi-Agent Systems for Concurrent Intelligent Design and Manufacturing. Taylor and Francis, London UK (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Cutkosky, M.R., Engelmore, R.S., Fikes, R.E., Genesereth, M.R., Gruber, T.R., Mark, W.S., Tenenbaum, J.M., Weber, J.C.: PACT: An Experiment in Integrating Concurrent Engineering Systems. IEEE Computer 26(1), 28–37 (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Toye, G., Cutkosky, M., Leifer, L., Tenenbaum, J., Glicksman, J.: SHARE: A Methodology and Environment for Collaborative Product Development. In: Proc. of 2nd Workshop on Enabling Technologies: Infrastructure for Collaborative Enterprises, pp. 33–47 (1993)Google Scholar
- 5.Shen, W., Barthès, J.P.: An Experimental Environment for Exchanging Engineering Design Knowledge by Cognitive Agents. In: Mantyla, M., Finger, S., Tomiyama, T. (eds.) Knowledge Intensive CAD-2, pp. 19–38. Chapman & Hall, Boca Raton (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Wang, L., Shen, W., Xie, H., Neelamkavil, J., Pardasani, A.: Collaborative Conceptual Design: A State-of-the-Art Survey. CAD 34(13), 981–996 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Shen, W., Ghenniwa, H.: A Distributed Multidisciplinary Optimization Framework: Technology Integration. Journal of Integrated Design and Process Science 7(3), 1–14 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Shen, W., Hao, Q.: A Service Oriented Integration Framework for Blow Molded Automotive Parts Design and Optimization. In: SAE 2004 World Congress (2004) (04-CONG-8)Google Scholar