Face Recognition with Local Binary Patterns
In this work, we present a novel approach to face recognition which considers both shape and texture information to represent face images. The face area is first divided into small regions from which Local Binary Pattern (LBP) histograms are extracted and concatenated into a single, spatially enhanced feature histogram efficiently representing the face image. The recognition is performed using a nearest neighbour classifier in the computed feature space with Chi square as a dissimilarity measure. Extensive experiments clearly show the superiority of the proposed scheme over all considered methods (PCA, Bayesian Intra/extrapersonal Classifier and Elastic Bunch Graph Matching) on FERET tests which include testing the robustness of the method against different facial expressions, lighting and aging of the subjects. In addition to its efficiency, the simplicity of the proposed method allows for very fast feature extraction.
KeywordsFace Recognition Linear Discriminant Analysis Recognition Rate Face Image Local Binary Pattern
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Phillips, P., Grother, P., Micheals, R.J., Blackburn, D.M., Tabassi, E., Bone, J.M.: Face recognition vendor test 2002 results. Technical report (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Zhao, W., Chellappa, R., Rosenfeld, A., Phillips, P.J.: Face recognition: a literature survey. Technical Report CAR-TR-948, Center for Automation Research, University of Maryland (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Moghaddam, B., Nastar, C., Pentland, A.: A bayesian similarity measure for direct image matching. In: 13th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, pp. II: 350–358 (1996)Google Scholar
- 10.Gong, S., McKenna, S.J., Psarrou, A.: Dynamic Vision, From Images to Face Recognition. Imperial College Press, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Bolme, D.S., Beveridge, J.R., Teixeira, M., Draper, B.A.: The CSU face identification evaluation system: Its purpose, features and structure. In: Third International Conference on Computer Vision Systems, pp. 304–311 (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Beveridge, J.R., She, K., Draper, B.A., Givens, G.H.: A nonparametric statistical comparison of principal component and linear discriminant subspaces for face recognition. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. I: 535–542 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Samaria, F.S., Harter, A.C.: Parameterisation of a stochastic model for human face identification. In: IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, pp. 138–142 (1994)Google Scholar