Implementing Ad Hoc to Terrestrial Network Gateways
In this paper we describe our experience of implementing a gateway between ad hoc and terrestrial routing protocols. Our implementation of the gateway includes support for both a unicast routing protocol as well as a multicast routing protocol. Though we limit our implementation to a particular set of protocols, we believe that the principles involved can easily be applied to other routing protocols. In particular, in this paper we detail our work on implementing a gateway between a network running MOSPF on a wired terrestrial network interface and MAODV on a wireless ad hoc network interface. Although we focus primarily on the single gateway scenario, we also discuss complications that arise from the use of multiple gateways and illustrate the potential failures that can arise in those scenarios.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andreadis, B.: Providing Internet Access to Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: London Communications Symposium (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Sun, Y., Belding-Royer, E.M., Perkins, C.E.: Internet Connectivity for Ad Hoc Mobile Networks. International Journal of Wireless Information Networks (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Nilsson, A., Perkins, C., Tuominen, R., Wakikawa, A.J., Malinen J. T.: AODV and IPv6 Internet Access for Ad Hoc Networks. Mobile Computing and Communications Review 6(3) (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ahlund, C., Zaslavsky, A.: Integration of Ad hoc Network and IP Network Capabilities for Mobile Hosts. In: 10the International Conference on Telecommunications (ICT) (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Striegel, A., Ramanujan, R., Bonney, J.: A Protocol Independent Internet Gateway for Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks. In: Proceedings of Local Computer Networks (LCN) (November 2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Bae, S.H., Lee, S., Gerla, M.: Unicast Performance Analysis of Extended ODMRP in a Wired-to-Wireless Hybrid Ad Hoc Network. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications and Networks (ICCN), Las Vegas (October 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Ratanchandani, P., Kravets, R.: A Hybrid Approach to Internet Connectivity for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference (WCNC) (March 2003)Google Scholar