A Component-Based Framework for Recognition Systems
The advantages of component-based software design have often been emphasized during the last years. This article describes the design and implementation of an object-oriented framework for document recognition systems. We use an operator-workitem-model for integrating numerous software components of various origins and written in different programming languages. This is done by defining two standardized interfaces, namely an operator-interface for the integrated recognition algorithms and a workitem-interface for all in- and output objects of the recognition algorithms. These conditions allow to arrange the operators in any successive order and any complexity to build a complete recognition system. For any choice and relative position of operators integrated, the framework provides facilities for parametrizing, testing and running.
The reported works have been part of the project AdaptiveREAD which was funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research.
KeywordsRecognition System Product Family Design Studio Manual Validation Recognition Engine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Brown 1996]Brown, A.W. (ed.): Component-Based Software Engineering. Selected Papers from the Software Engineering Institute, Los Alamitos (1996)Google Scholar
- [Fayad 1999]Fayad, M., Schmidt, D., Johnson, R.: Building Application Frameworks - Object- Oriented Foundations of Framework Design. Wiley, Chichester (1999)Google Scholar
- [Lippert 2000]Lippert, M., Roock, S., Züllighoven, H.: From Documents to Applications via Frameworks: The Tools and Materials Approach. In: OOPSLA 2000 Companion. ACM press, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- [Nierstrasz 1995a]Nierstrasz, O., Dami, L.: Component-Oriented Software Technology. In [Nierstrasz 1995b], pp. 3-28Google Scholar
- [Nierstrasz 1995b]Nierstrasz, O., Tsichritzis, D. (eds.): Object-Oriented Software Composition, London (1995)Google Scholar
- [Parnas 1972]Parnas, D.L.: On the Criteria to be Used in Decomposing Systems into Modules. Communications of the ACM 15(12)Google Scholar
- [Pintado 1995]Pintado, X.: Gluons and the Cooperation between Software Components. In [Nierstrasz 1995b], pp. 321-349Google Scholar
- [Pree 1997]Pree, W.: Komponentenbasierte Softwareentwicklung mit Frameworks, Heidelberg (1997)Google Scholar
- [Szyperski 1998]Szyperski, C.: Component Software: Beyond Object-Oriented Programming, HarlowGoogle Scholar
- [Wallace 1996]Wallace, E., Clements, P., Wallnau, K.: Discovering a System Modernization Decision Framework: A Case Study in Migrating to Distributed Object Technology. In [Brown 1996], pp. 113-123Google Scholar