GridFS: A Web-Based Data Grid with P2P Concepts and Writable Replicas
We merge concepts from P2P into Data Grid and present a web-based Data Grid, called GridFS, for the distributed sharing of educational resources. GridFS extends Data Grid by making replicas writable in practice. We propose a push-version-number consistency (PVNC) model and a writer/reader protocol to implement it. PVNC eliminates nearly all read latency and lessens the network utilization. We believe GridFS and PVNC would benefit hierarchical web cache systems and digital libraries.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Qinghu, L., Jianmin, W., Yanlam, K., Jiaguang, S.: GridFS: A Web-based Data Grid for the Distributed Sharing of Educational Resource Files. In: The 2nd International Conference on Web-based Learning (2003) (Published by LNCS)Google Scholar
- 3.Parsec home page, http://pcl.cs.ucla.edu/projects/parsec
- 4.Crovella, M.E., Bestavos, A.: Self-similarity in World Wide Web traffic: Evidence and possible causes. Performance Evaluation Review 24(1) (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Crovella, M., Lipsky, L.: Long-lasting transient conditions in simulations with heavy tailed workloads. In: Proceedings of the 1997 Winter Simulation Conference (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Lin, J., Alvisi, L., Dahlin, M., Lin, C.: Hierarchical cache consistency in a WAN. In: Proceedings of the 2nd USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies (October 1999)Google Scholar