Navigating and Annotating Semantically-Enabled Networks of People and Associated Objects
Social spaces such as blogs, wikis and online social networking sites are enabling the formation of online communities where people are linked to each other through direct profile connections and also through the content items that they are creating, sharing and tagging. As these spaces become bigger and more distributed, more intuitive ways of navigating the associated information become necessary. The Semantic Web aims to link identifiable objects to each other and to textual strings via relationships and attributes respectively, and provides a platform for gathering diverse information from heterogeneous sources and performing operations on such linked data. In this paper, we will demonstrate how this linked semantic data can provide an enhanced view of the activity in a social network, and how the Galaxy tool described in this work can augment objects from social spaces, by highlighting related people and objects, and suggesting relevant sources of knowledge.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amitay, E., Har’El, N., Sivan, R., Soffer, A. (2004). Web-a-where: geotagging web content. Proceedings of the 27th annual international ACM SIGIR conference on Research and development in information retrieval. NY, USA.Google Scholar
- Brickley, D., Guha, R. V. (2003). RDF Vocabulary Description Language 1.0: RDF Schema. W3C Working Draft.Google Scholar
- Dean, M., Schreiber, G. (2004). OWL Web Ontology Language Reference.Google Scholar
- Harth, A., Umbrich, J., Decker, S. (2006). MultiCrawler: A Pipelined Architecture for Crawling and Indexing Semantic Web Data. Proceedings of the 5th International Semantic Web Conference. Athens, GA, USA.Google Scholar
- Harth, A., Umbrich, J., Hogan, A., Decker, S. (2007). YARS2: A Federated Repository for Searching and Querying Graph-Structured Data. Proceedings of the 6th International Semantic Web Conference. Busan, Korea.Google Scholar
- Hayes, C., Massa, P., Avesani, P., Cunningham, P. (2002). An on-line evaluation framework for recommender systems. Proceedings of the Workshop on Recommendation and Personalization in eCommerce at the 2nd International Conference on Adaptive Hypermedia and Adaptive Web Based Systems. Malaga, Spain.Google Scholar
- Hogan, A., Harth, A., Decker, S. (2007). Performing Object Consolidation on the Semantic Web Data Graph. Proceedings of the I3: Identity, Identifiers, Identification Workshop at the 16th International World Wide Web Conference. Banff, Alberta, Canada.Google Scholar
- Kinsella, S., Harth, A., Breslin, J. G. (2007). Network Analysis of Semantic Connections in Heterogeneous Social Spaces. Proceedings of the UK Social Network Conference. London, United Kingdom.Google Scholar
- Liu, H., Maes, P., Davenport, G. (2006). Unraveling the Taste Fabric of Social Networks. International Journal on Semantic Web and Information Systems, 2, 42–71.Google Scholar
- Manola, F., Miller, E. (2004). RDF Primer.Google Scholar