Revealing Bistability in Neurological Disorder Models By Solving Parametric Polynomial Systems Geometrically
- 388 Downloads
Understanding the mechanisms of the brain is a common theme for both computational neuroscience and artificial intelligence. Machine learning technique, like artificial neural network, has been benefiting from a better understanding of the neuronal network in human brains. In the study of neurons, mathematical modeling plays a vital role. In this paper, we analyze the important phenomenon of bistability in neurological disorders modeled by ordinary differential equations in virtue of our recently developed method for solving bi-parametric polynomial systems. Unlike the algebraic symbolic approach, our numeric method solves parametric systems geometrically. With respect to the classical bifurcation analysis approach, our method naturally has good initial points thanks to the critical point technique in real algebraic geometry.
Special heuristic strategies are proposed for addressing the multiscale problem of parameters and variables occurring in biological models, as well as taking into account the fact that the variables representing concentrations are non-negative. Comparing with its symbolic algebraic counterparts, one merit of this geometrical method is that it may compute smaller boundaries.
KeywordsNeurological Disease Models Numerical Algebraic Geometry Ordinary Differential Equations Fold Bifurcation Hopf Bifurcation Boundary
This work is partially supported by the projects NSFC (11471307, 11671377, 61572024), and the Key Research Program of Frontier Sciences of CAS (QYZDB-SSW-SYS026).
- 3.Bradford, R.J., et al.: A case study on the parametric occurrence of multiple steady states. In: ISSAC 2017, pp. 45–52 (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, C., Wu, W.: A numerical method for analyzing the stability of bi-parametric biological systems. In: SYNASC 2016, pp. 91–98 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, C., Wu, W.: A numerical method for computing border curves of bi-parametric real polynomial systems and applications. In: Gerdt, V.P., Koepf, W., Seiler, W.M., Vorozhtsov, E.V. (eds.) CASC 2016. LNCS, vol. 9890, pp. 156–171. Springer, Cham (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45641-6_11CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Schwartz, R.: Biological Modeling and Simulation. The MIT Press, Cambridge (2008)Google Scholar
- 26.Wang, D.M., Xia, B.: Stability analysis of biological systems with real solution classification. In: Kauers, M. (ed.) ISSAC 2005, pp. 354–361 (2005)Google Scholar
- 29.Yang, L., Xia, B.: Real solution classifications of a class of parametric semi-algebraic systems. In: A3L 2005, pp. 281–289 (2005)Google Scholar