Little Boxes: A Dynamic Optimization Approach for Enhanced Cloud Infrastructures
- 402 Downloads
The increasing demand for diverse, mobile applications with various degrees of Quality of Service requirements meets the increasing elasticity of on-demand resource provisioning in virtualized cloud computing infrastructures. This paper provides a dynamic optimization approach for enhanced cloud infrastructures, based on the concept of cloudlets, which are located at hotspot areas throughout a metropolitan area. In conjunction, we consider classical remote data centers that are rigid with respect to QoS but provide nearly abundant computation resources.
KeywordsCloud computing Data center Cloudlet Quality of service Multimedia Service Dynamic Optimization
This work has been sponsored in part by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) under grant no. 01IS12054, by E-Finance Lab e.V., Frankfurt a.M., Germany (www.efinancelab.de), and by the German Research Foundation (DFG) in the Collaborative Research Center (SFB) 1053 – MAKI.
- 1.Choy, S., Wong, B., Simon, G., Rosenberg, C.: The brewing storm in cloud gaming: a measurement study on cloud to end-user latency. In: 11th Annual Workshop on Network and Systems Support for Games (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Goiri, I.n., Le, K., Guitart, J., Torres, J., Bianchini, R.: Intelligent placement of datacenters for internet services. In: 31st International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Hans, R., et al.: Little boxes: A dynamic optimization approach for enhanced cloud infrastructures. arXiv preprint - http://arxiv.org/abs/1807.02615 (2018)
- 4.Huang, J., Qian, F., Gerber, A., Mao, Z.M., Sen, S., Spatscheck, O.: A close examination of performance and power characteristics of 4G LTE networks. In: 10th International Conference on Mobile Systems, Applications, and Services (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Sommers, J., Barford, P.: Cell vs. WiFi: on the performance of metro area mobile connections. In: 2012 Conference on Internet Measurement (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Verbelen, T., Simoens, P., De Turck, F., Dhoedt, B.: Cloudlets: bringing the cloud to the mobile user. In: 3rd ACM Workshop on Mobile Cloud Computing and Services (2012)Google Scholar