Aromatic amino acids are produced via the shikimate pathway in the plastids, which are the precursors of phenylpropanoids. Phenylpropanoids contribute to the taste of many plant-derived food, but their interaction with the human body is in many cases not well documented. Many of these compounds act as precursors for alkaloids.
- de Cassia da Silveira ESR, Andrade LN, Dos Reis Barreto de Oliveira R, de Sousa DP (2014) A review on anti-inflammatory activity of phenylpropanoids found in essential oils. Molecules 19:1459–1480. https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules19021459
- Grotewold E (2006) The genetics and biochemistry of floral pigments. Annu Rev Plant Biol 57:761–780. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.arplant.57.032905.105248CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ren GY, Chen CY, Chen WG, Huang Y, Qin LQ, Chen LH (2016) The treatment effects of flaxseed-derived secoisolariciresinol diglycoside and its metabolite enterolactone on benign prostatic hyperplasia involve the G protein-coupled estrogen receptor 1. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 41:1303–1310. https://doi.org/10.1139/apnm-2016-0332CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Schonbrunn E, Eschenburg S, Shuttleworth WA, Schloss JV, Amrhein N, Evans JN, Kabsch W (2001) Interaction of the herbicide glyphosate with its target enzyme 5-enolpyruvylshikimate 3-phosphate synthase in atomic detail. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1376–1380. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.98.4.1376CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Tzin V, Malitsky S, Ben Zvi MM, Bedair M, Sumner L, Aharoni A, Galili G (2012) Expression of a bacterial feedback-insensitive 3-deoxy-D-arabino-heptulosonate 7-phosphate synthase of the shikimate pathway in Arabidopsis elucidates potential metabolic bottlenecks between primary and secondary metabolism. New Phytol 194:430–439. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04052.xCrossRefGoogle Scholar