EDDA-V2 – An Improvement of the Evolutionary Demes Despeciation Algorithm
For any population-based algorithm, the initialization of the population is a very important step. In Genetic Programming (GP), in particular, initialization is known to play a crucial role - traditionally, a wide variety of trees of various sizes and shapes are desirable. In this paper, we propose an advancement of a previously conceived Evolutionary Demes Despeciation Algorithm (EDDA), inspired by the biological phenomenon of demes despeciation. In the pioneer design of EDDA, the initial population is generated using the best individuals obtained from a set of independent subpopulations (demes), which are evolved for a few generations, by means of conceptually different evolutionary algorithms - some use standard syntax-based GP and others use a semantics-based GP system. The new technique we propose here (EDDA-V2), imposes more diverse evolutionary conditions - each deme evolves using a distinct random sample of training data instances and input features. Experimental results show that EDDA-V2 is a feasible initialization technique: populations converge towards solutions with comparable or even better generalization ability with respect to the ones initialized with EDDA, by using significantly reduced computational time.
KeywordsInitialization algorithm Semantics Despeciation
- 2.Beadle, L.C.J.: Semantic and structural analysis of genetic programming. Ph.D. thesis, University of Kent, Canterbury, July 2009Google Scholar
- 8.Moraglio, A., Krawiec, K., Johnson, C.G.: Geometric semantic genetic programming. In: Coello, C.A.C., Cutello, V., Deb, K., Forrest, S., Nicosia, G., Pavone, M. (eds.) PPSN 2012. LNCS, vol. 7491, pp. 21–31. Springer, Heidelberg (2012). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-32937-1_3CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Oliveira, L.O.V., Otero, F.E., Pappa, G.L.: A dispersion operator for geometric semantic genetic programming. In: Proceedings of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference 2016, GECCO 2016, pp. 773–780. ACM (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Vanneschi, L., Bakurov, I., Castelli, M.: An initialization technique for geometric semantic GP based on demes evolution and despeciation. In: 2017 IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC 2017, Donostia, San Sebastián, Spain, 5–8 June 2017, pp. 113–120 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Vanneschi, L., Silva, S., Castelli, M., Manzoni, L.: Geometric semantic genetic programming for real life applications. In: Riolo, R., Moore, J.H., Kotanchek, M. (eds.) Genetic Programming Theory and Practice XI. GEC, pp. 191–209. Springer, New York (2014). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4939-0375-7_11CrossRefGoogle Scholar