Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Functional MRI (fMRI), and MR Spectroscopy
Imaging is a useful tool for evaluating a patient with spine or limb pain, after a thorough history and physical examination. The main goal of imaging is to find an undiagnosed systemic source of pain. In approximately 95% of patients with lower back pain, a benign process is the cause. Imaging modalities are then used to find undiagnosed systemic diseases and etiologies of the remaining 5%. This guide considers magnetic resonance imaging for musculoskeletal pathologies that result in back pain.
KeywordsMRI T1 signal T2 signal fMRI MRI spectroscopy Modic changes
- 1.Kim AT, Kalnins AU, Prost RW, Mukherjee PE, Winn HR. Youmans and Winn neurological surgery. Philadelphia: Elsevier. p. 152–183.e3.Google Scholar
- 2.Zaer NF, Amini B, Elsayes KM. Overview of diagnostic modalities and contrast agents. In: Elsayes KM, Oldham SA, editors. Introduction to diagnostic radiology. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2014.Google Scholar
- 5.American College of Radiology. Available at https://www.acr.org/Quality-Safety/Standards-Guidelines/Practice-Guidelines-by-Modality/MRI. Res. 10–2017. Accessed 4 Oct 2017.