The Chinese Wine Industry
In order to provide a global overview of the Chinese wine industry, this chapter introduces and analyzes the main operators along the industry chain. China is an emerging and dynamic wine market experiencing rapid growth since the beginning of the 2000s. The domestic wine industry is characterized by high vertical integration along the industry chain from winegrowing to winemaking and then to distribution, with a few leading groups dominating market share. Geographical indications have developed in the main wine-producing regions, and certain elite wineries in these areas have gained an international reputation thanks to the quality of their wines. Meanwhile, the Chinese government has been playing a significant role in supporting the development of the domestic wine industry. In terms of consumption, imported wines are well welcomed, and Chinese wine drinkers have been becoming more adventurous in trying various types of wines. The market has been evolving rapidly, in every aspect, from production to distribution, as it adapts to the changes in consumer behavior.
- Li, S.H. 2000. Grape production in China. FAO Corporate Document Repository. Available at: http://www.fao.org/docrep/003/x6897e/x6897e05.htm#TopOfPage.
- Li, D. 2016. Defining the Chinese wine regions. Decanter China. Available at: https://www.decanterchina.com/en/columns/demeis-view-wine-communication-from-a-chinese-winemaker/defining-the-chinese-wine-regions.
- Schmitt, P. 2016. Moët’s Chinese wine ‘a logistical nightmare’. The Drink Business. Available at: https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2016/06/moets-chinese-wine-a-logistical-nightmare/.
- Wu, S. 2014. Ningxia wine region: We’ve got your back, says the government. Decanter China. Available at: https://www.decanterchina.com/en/knowledge/people/region-authorities/ningxia-wine-region-we-ve-got-your-back-says-the-government.
- Wu, S. 2016. Ningxia announces wine classification system. Decanter China. Available at: https://www.decanterchina.com/en/news/ningxia-announces-wine-classification-system.
- Audit de la distribution du vin en Chine. 2013. Wine Intelligence.Google Scholar
- China Brewing Industry Yearbook. 2008–2011. China Alcoholic Drinks Association.Google Scholar
- Le marché des vins et spiritueux en Chine Continentale. 2012. Ubifrance.Google Scholar
- Portraits China. 2015. Wine Intelligence.Google Scholar
- The IWSR/Vinexpo Report – The Wine World 2009–2019. 2015. International Wine and Spirit Research.Google Scholar
- Wine in China. 2011, 2015. Euromonitor International.Google Scholar
- Wine in China. 2015–2017. MarketLine.Google Scholar
- World Vitiviniculture Situation. 2013–2017. International Organisation of Vine and Wine (OIV).Google Scholar
- “12 Five-Year Plan” for Chinese wine industry. 2012. Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and Ministry of Agriculture.Google Scholar
- “13 Five-Year Plan” for Chinese wine industry. 2015. Chinese Ministry of Industry and Information Technology and Ministry of Agriculture.Google Scholar