Acute Cholecystitis and Biliary Colic
Acute cholecystitis has a myriad of etiologies. Obstruction of the cystic duct leading to inflammation of the gallbladder wall is most common. Treatment ranges on severity with laparoscopic to open cholecystectomy with and without common bile duct exploration. Biliary colic is a common symptom of gallbladder disease referring to pain that comes and goes. It is treated with a cholecystectomy.
KeywordsCholecystitis Cholecystectomy Laparoscopic cholecystectomy Open cholecystectomy Acute cholecystitis Biliary colic Symptomatic cholelithiasis Cholelithiasis Gallstones Colicky pain gallbladder
- 1.National Institutes of Health consensus development conference statement on gallstones and laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Am J Surg. 1993;165:390–8.Google Scholar
- 6.Hirota M, Takada T, Kawarada Y, Nimura Y, Miura F, Hirata K, Mayumi T, Yoshida M, Strasberg S, Pitt H, Gadacz TR, de Santibanes E, Gouma DJ, Solomkin JS, Belghiti J, Neuhaus H, Büchler MW, Fan S-T, Ker C-G, Padbury RT, Liau K-H, Hilvano SC, Belli G, Windsor JA, Dervenis C. Diagnostic criteria and severity assessment of acute cholecystitis: Tokyo guidelines. J Hepato-Biliary-Pancreat Surg. 2007;14:78–82.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Brooks KR, Scarborough JE, Vaslef SN, Shapiro ML. No need to wait: an analysis of the timing of cholecystectomy during admission for acute cholecystitis using the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013;74:167.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Cameron JL, Cameron AM, editors. Current surgical therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders; 2014.Google Scholar
- 11.Giljaca V, Gurusamy KS, Takwoingi Y, Higgie D, Poropat G, Štimac D, et al. Endoscopic ultrasound versus magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography for common bile duct stones. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015;2:CD011549. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858. CD011549.
- 18.Warren KW, EGC T. Surgical approach to disease of the biliary system. In: Schiff L, Schiff ER, editors. Diseases of the liver. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott; 1993. p. 448–86.Google Scholar