Mobile Strategies for Global Health Radiology
A significant contributor to health-care disparity is geographic isolation that limits patients’ access to medical facilities. The World Bank estimates that 900 million to 1 billion people live without access to adequate road infrastructure, thereby sustaining poverty and poor health outcomes. Such disparity can also result from natural disasters and crisis zones contributing to physical isolation or arise from long-term sociocultural determinants, including educational gaps, cultural perceptions of medical care, and economic constraints. Mobile health constitutes the effort to bring medical care to those in need via transport vehicles, such as trucks, ships, and aircraft, for overcoming geographic, infrastructural, and sociocultural barriers. For more than a century, radiology has been mobilized on transport vehicles to reach isolated populations. This chapter analyzes the role of radiology in mobile health solutions for addressing health-care disparities. This discussion engages the question of why radiology and medical imaging are vital in mobile health strategies. We present the components that should be addressed in implementing a successful mobile radiology outreach program, including economic modeling, technical planning, clinical workflow, patient-referral networks, and equipment optimization. Transportation and radiologic technologies have been progressing through the advancement of imaging equipment and innovative aircraft, automotive, and computing capabilities, bringing new opportunities to the way mobile radiology can reach medically underserved populations.
KeywordsMobile health Mobile radiology Rural access index Geographic information systems Artificial intelligence Hybrid airship Disaster response Transportation Infrastructure Patient referral Screening Underserved Mobile mammography Mammovan
- 1.The Institute (IEEE). How Marie Curie helped save a million soldiers during World War I: the radiology pioneer developed and operated mobile X-ray units to treat the injured. Available at http://theinstitute.ieee.org/tech-history/technology-history/how-marie-curie-helped-save-a-million-soldiers-during-world-war-i (2016). Accessed 18 Sept 2017.
- 2.Jorgensen TJ. How Marie Curie brought X-Ray machines to the battlefield. Smithsoniancom (2017). Available at https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-marie-curie-brought-x-ray-machines-to-battlefield-180965240/.
- 4.World Health Organization. Essential diagnostic imaging. Available at https://web.archive.org/web/20121023154427/http://www.who.int/eht/en/DiagnosticImagingpdf. Accessed 29 Dec 2016.
- 5.Iimi A, Ahmed F, Anderson EC, Diehl AS, Laban M, Peralta-Quirós T, Rao KS. New rural access index: main determinants and correlation to poverty. Available at https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/bitstream/handle/10986/25676/WPS7876pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y (2016). Accessed 4 Jan 2017.
- 6.Purdue E, Diehl A, Iimi A. On the road to sustainable growth: measuring access for rural populations. Available at https://blogs.worldbank.org/opendata/road-sustainable-growth-measuring-access-rural-populations-0 (2016). Accessed 18 Sept 2017.
- 7.United Nations. The Millennium development goals report 2015. Available at http://www.un.org/millenniumgoals/2015_MDG_Report/pdf/MDG 2015 rev (July 1)pdf. (2015). Accessed 12 Dec 2016.
- 8.United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affiars. Sustainable development goals. Available at https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/sdgs (2016). Accessed 30 Dec 2016.
- 15.Scott L, Li M, Thobani S, Nichols B, Morphew T, Kwong KY. Asthma control and need for future asthma controller therapy among inner-city Hispanic asthmatic children engaged in a pediatric asthma disease management program (the Breathmobile program, Mobile Asthma Care for Kids Network). J Asthma. 2016;53:629–34.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Mobile Health Map. Mobile health map. Available at https://www.mobilehealthmap.org/ (2017). Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- 19.Wikipedia. Project HOPE. Available at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_HOPE (2017). Accessed 24 Sept 2017.
- 21.Straightline Aviation. About Hybrid Airships. Available at http://www.straightlineaviationcom/about-hybrids (2017). Accessed on 13 Dec 2017.