Ultrasound in Global Health Radiology
Global health seeks to address healthcare disparities, and sonography has an important part to play in achieving global health targets. Ultrasound is a beneficial and critical imaging modality because of its affordability and effectiveness in the imaging of noncommunicable and infectious diseases. Ultrasound can be successfully integrated into global health partnerships but must be thoughtfully supported by assessment, training, and human capacity development.
KeywordsUltrasound Sonographers Global Education Infection control Volunteers Radiology Sonography Outreach Images
- 1.Shampo MA, Kyle RA. Karl Theodore Dussik—pioneer in ultrasound. In: Mayo Clinic proceedings 1995 (Vol. 70, No. 12, p. 1136). Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 2.World Health Organization. 10 facts on health inequities and their causes. Available at http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/health_inequities/en/. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- 3.World Health Organization. 10 facts on noncommunicable diseases. Available at http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/noncommunicable_diseases/facts/en/. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- 5.Shah S, Price D, Bukhman G, Shah S, Wroe E. Partners in Health Manual of ultrasound for resource-limited settings. Boston, MA: Partners In Health; 2011.Google Scholar
- 7.Mayo Clinic. Radiology: innovative, comprehensive, and patient focused. Available at: http://www.mayo.edu/pmts/mc1400-mc1499/mc1489-38.pdf. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- 8.World Health Organization. Diagnostic imaging: ultrasound. Available at: http://www.who.int/diagnostic_imaging/imaging_modalities/dim_ultrasound/en/. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- 9.Kurtz AB, Hertzberg BS. Ultrasound: the requisites. New York, NY: Mosby Incorporated; 2004.Google Scholar
- 10.USMachTxPhoto, Wikimedia Commons. KieranMaher. Available from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:UsMachTxPhoto.jpg.
- 11.AIUM Practice Parameter for Ultrasonography in Reproductive Medicine Guidelines for Cleaning and Preparing Endocavitary Ultrasound Transducers Between Patients Adapted from the AIUM Official Statement Guidelines for Cleaning and Preparing Endocavitary Ultrasound Transducers Between Patients, The American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine, 2003. Available at: http://www.aium.org/resources/guidelines/reproductivemed.pdf. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- 13.Data USA. Diagnostic medical sonography and ultrasound technician. Available at: https://datausa.io/profile/cip/510910/. Accessed 10 Dec 2017.
- 14.Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Programs. Find a program. Available at: https://www.caahep.org/Students/Find-a-Program.aspx. Accessed 6 Jan 2018.
- 15.World Health Organization. Patient safety: making health care safer. Available at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/255507/1/WHO-HIS-SDS-2017.11-eng.pdf?ua=1 Accessed 12 Dec 2017.
- 16.World Health Organization. Guidelines on core components of infection prevention and control programmes at the national and acute health care facility level. Available at: http://aps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/251730/1/9789241549929-eng.pdf. Accessed 26 July 2017.
- 17.Raka L, Mulliqi-Osmani G. 2012 Infection control in developing world, infection control – updates, Dr. Christopher Sudhakar (Ed.), InTech, https://doi.org/10.5772/33282. Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/infection-control-updates/infection-control-in-developing-world.Google Scholar
- 20.Rutala WA, Weber DJ, Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory committee. Guideline for disinfection and sterilization in healthcare facilities, 2008. CDC. Available from https://www.cdc.gove/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection.