Intersectional Analysis of Age in the Context of Rural Health Policy in Ukraine
Ukraine’s rural residents are disproportionately affected in the country’s health crisis due to challenging socioeconomic conditions and disintegration of rural health care. The government acknowledged the issue but has not attempted to address rural health crisis. This submission presents the diversity of health needs of rural residents in Ukraine through the intersectional analysis of community consultations conducted in 2012 in five villages. The research investigates how health needs of rural populations are affected by the intersections of age with income and employment. The chapter contributes to the literature on health in transition countries and to intersectional literature by turning attention to age. The findings point to unemployed young and children in rural areas as the most disadvantaged age groups. Their disadvantages cannot be understood without considering the effects of structural forces, such as transition from planned economy to capitalism. The author proposes to ground Ukraine’s rural health policy in intersectionality and give the voice to rural communities in setting the priorities for improving their health. Specifically, needs assessment for rural health care should be based not only on aggregate data but also on the lived experiences whose health issues are as diverse as intersections of their social locations.
- Andreeva, T. (2012). Differences by Gender and Education in Responding to Tobacco Control Measures Implemented in Ukraine Since 2005. Tobacco Control and Public Health in Eastern Europe, 2(2), 111–121.Google Scholar
- Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. (2007). Resolution # 1158, State Target Program on the Development of Ukrainian Rural Areas for the Period Till 2015.Google Scholar
- Calasanti, T. (2006). Gender and Old Age: Lessons from Spousal Care. In T. M. Calasanti & K. F. Slevin (Eds.), Age Matters: Realigning Feminist Thinking (pp. 269–294). New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cammarano, J. (2009). Rural Healthcare in Eastern Ukraine: A Needs Assessment Analysis of the Izyum District. MS Project University of Washington School of Public Affairs.Google Scholar
- Canadian Mental Health Association. (2016). Unemployment. Retrieved from http://www.cmha.ca/mental-health/your-mental-health/unemployment/.
- Derzhavnyj Komitet Statystyky Ukrainy (State Statistics Committee of Ukraine). (2007). Statystychnyj schorichnyk 2006 (The Statistical Yearbook 2006). (In Ukrainian).Google Scholar
- Geurts, T. (2010). Be Informed. Public Policy: The 21st Century Perspective.Google Scholar
- Hankivsky, O., Salnykova, A., & Vorobyova, A. (2012a, December 17–18). Exploring Pathways to Equity in Health Reform: A Case Study of Ukraine. Presentation to USAID-Ukraine, WHO-Ukraine, and the Office of the Health Care Reform of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine, Kyiv, Ukraine.Google Scholar
- Hankivsky, O., Grace, D., Hunting, G., Giesbrecht, M., Fridkin, A., Rudrum, S., et al. (2012b). Intersectionality-Based Policy Analysis Framework. Vancouver, BC: Institute for Intersectionality Research and Policy. Simon Fraser University.Google Scholar
- Hankivsky, O., Vorobyova, A., Salnykova, A., & Rouhani, S. (2016). The Importance of Community Consultations for Generating Evidence for Healthcare Reform in Ukraine. International Journal of Health Policy and Management, 5(x), 1–11.Google Scholar
- Healey, P., Pugatch, M., & Disney, H. (2010). Weathering the Storm: Central and Eastern European Health Care in Crisis. Stockholm Network 2010.Google Scholar
- Kizilov, A., Malikova, N., Rapoport, A., & Elena, T. (2013). Health Care System of Ukraine: Main Tendencies of Development. In P. Brigadin, M. MacKee, D. Rothman, A. Khvorostov, & C. Haerpfer (Eds.), Health of Populations and Social Transformations in the Post-Soviet States (pp. 306–325). Minsk: Belarusian State University.Google Scholar
- Lekhan, V., & Shishkin, S. (2007). The Ukrainian Health Financing System and Options for Reform. Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe (Health Financing Policy Paper 2007/1).Google Scholar
- Lekhan, V., Rudiy, V., & Richardson, E. (2012). Ukraine Health System Review. Health Systems in Transition, 12, 1–183.Google Scholar
- Libanova, E., Kurylo, O., Makarova, O., Chernenko, V., & Steshenko, L. (2007). Naselennia Ukrainy: socialno-demohrafichni problem ukrainskoho sela (The Population of Ukraine: Socio-Demographic Problems of the Ukrainian Village). Institute for Demography and Social Studies at the NAS of Ukraine (In Ukrainian): Kyiv.Google Scholar
- Organizing Focus Groups and Community Consultations, Canadian Association for the Advancement of Women, Sport and Physical Activity. Retrieved April 29, 2018, from http://caaws-women55to70plus.ca/pdfs/organizing_factsheet-E.pdf.
- Peter, J. (1998). Analysing Public Policy. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Rokhansky, A. (2012). Prava liudyny v haluzi okhorony zdorovja (Human Rights in the Health Care System). Report of the Human Rights Organizations. (In Ukrainian). Kharkiv: Institute for Human Rights Research.Google Scholar
- Skryzhevska, Y., & Karacsonyi, D. (2012). Rural Population in Ukraine: Assessing Reality, Looking for Revitalization. Hungarian Geographical Bulletin, 61, 49–78.Google Scholar
- Stern, D. (2015). The Death of Ukraine. BBC Documentary. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vdbjn.
- Tarantino, L., Chankova, S., Rosenfeld, J., Routh, S., & Preble, E. (2011). Ukraine Health System Assessment. Bethesda, MD: Health Systems 20/20 Project, Abt Associates Inc.Google Scholar
- The National Concept for Healthcare Reform. (2011). National Institute for Strategic Research. Retrieved from http://www.niss.gov.ua/public/File/2011_table/1222_dop.pdf.
- Vorobyova, A. (2014). Tackling Health Inequities in Rural Ukraine: Evidence-Based Approach. MA Project, Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2008). Closing the Gap in a Generation: Health Equity Through Action on the Social Determinants of Health.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2014). Non-Communicable Diseases Country Profile: Ukraine. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/nmh/countries/ukr_en.pdf.
- Zakharov, E. (2012). Government Policies and Human Rights Issues in Ukraine in 2012. Interview to Radio Svoboda. Retrieved from http://ucu.edu.ua/library/8396/.