Single Market and Single Currency: Intended and Unintended Effects
For those who supported the project of creating a single currency, monetary union was seen as the completion of economic integration and of the Single Market. This combination was expected to boost economic growth and foster economic convergence among EU economies. It has led to a significant intensification of economic and financial integration: trade in goods and services has increased, cross-border provision of services and labor commuting too; labor and capital have also become more mobile. But for the lack of significant progress in political integration and collective decision-making, member state governments have been prone to resort to tax competition and other non-cooperative strategies. Although this has tended to increase economic inequalities and asymmetries among EU member states, the outlook for more cooperative strategies is now mixed: tensions tend to exacerbate and public opinions are expecting collective action, but agreement on common policies is made more difficult by existing differences in economic situations and performance.
KeywordsEMU Single Market Four freedoms Mobility Tax competition Social dumping
- Candau, Fabien, and Jacques Le Cacheux. 2018. Taming Tax Competition with a European Corporate Income Tax. Revue d’économie politique.Google Scholar
- Cecchini, Paolo, et al. 1988, Europe 1992. The Overall Challenge. Report to the European Commission. http://aei.pitt.edu/3813/1/3813.pdf.
- ———. 2013. Design Failures in the Eurozone: Can They Be Fixed?. KU Leuven Euroforum, April. https://lirias2repo.kuleuven.be/bitstream/handle/123456789/404628/De+Grauwe+-+Design+Failures+-+webversie.pdf;jsessionid=29B1FC3F143D8FB036243A3005C24BFF?sequence=1.
- Eichengreen, Barry, and Douglas Irwin. 2009. The Protectionist Temptation: Lessons from the Great Depression for Today. VoxEU.org, March 27. https://voxeu.org/article/protectionist-temptation-lessons-great-depression-today.
- Emerson, Michael, et al. 1992. One Market, One Money. An Evaluation of the Potential Benefits and Costs of Forming an Economic and Monetary Union. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Also published in European Economy 44 (1990). http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/publications/pages/publication7454_en.pdf.
- European Commission. 2017. Single Market Scoreboard. http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/scoreboard/_docs/2017/trade/2017-scoreboard-trade-goods-services_en.pdf.
- ———. 2018a. 2017 Annual Report on Intra EU Labour Mobility. Brussels, January. https://publications.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/2637906c-316a-11e8-b5fe-01aa75ed71a1/language-en
- ———. 2018b. Social Agenda 51. Fair Mobility and Social Fairness. Brussels, April. http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?catId=737&langId=en&pubId=8086&furtherPubs=yes.
- Krugman, Paul R. 1986. Pricing to Market When the Exchange Rate Changes, NBER Working Paper n°1926, May. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/6586856.pdf.
- Laurent, Éloi, and Jacques Le Cacheux. 2006. Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case Against the European Economic Constitution, Harvard CES Working Papers 130. https://hal-sciencespo.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/972707/filename/laurent-lecacheux.pdf.
- ———. 2010. The Irish Tiger and the German Frog. A Tale of Size and Growth in the Euro Area. In Report on the State of the European Union vol.3 Crisis in the EU Economic Governance, ed. Jean-Paul Fitoussi and Jacques Le Cacheux. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Le Cacheux, Jacques, and Éloi Laurent. 2015. Report on the State of the European Union. Is Europe Sustainable? Vol. 4. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Le Cacheux, Jacques, and Lucrezia Reichlin. 1992. Exchange Rates and Import Prices: Evidence of Pricing to Market in European Car Markets. In International Trade Modeling, ed. M.G. Dagenais and P.-A. Muet. London: Chapman & Hill.Google Scholar
- Olson, Mancur. 1965. The Logic of Collective Action. Reprinted in 2009. Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Sinn, Hans-Werner. 2006. The Pathological Export Boom and the Bazaar Effect. How to Solve the German Puzzle. CESIFO Working Papers 1708. https://www.econstor.eu/bitstream/10419/25753/1/516977253.PDF.
- UNCTAD. 2018. World Investment Report 2018. United Nations Conference for Trade and Development. http://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2018_overview_en.pdf.