Ideas That Made the Euro (and Those That Did Not Make It)
The design of the European Monetary Union has been influenced by various, and sometimes contradictory, economic ideas and doctrines. Among these, Optimal Currency Area theory and Fiscal Federalism, but even more importantly the macroeconomic and monetary framework adopted in Germany under the influence of ordo-liberalism, and the New Classical views about the functioning of market economies, with a clear distrust of political interferences and a strong aversion toward inflation. The European treaties have embedded specific economic doctrines into institutional and precise policy rules. The Great Recession and the subsequent sovereign debt crisis in the Euro Area have shaken these certainties and led to new thinking of macroeconomic and monetary matters.
KeywordsOrdo-liberalism New Classical Economics Policy rules Optimal currency areas Potential output
- Barro, Robert J., and David B. Gordon. 1983. A Positive Theory of Monetary Policy in a Natural Rate Model. The Journal of Political Economy 91 (4): 589–610. http://www.networkideas.org/feathm/sep2006/pdf/Barro_%20Gordon.pdf.
- Basevi, Giorgio, Emil Claassen, Pascal Salin, and Niels Thygesen. 1976. Optica Report 75. Towards Economic Equilibrium and Monetary Unification in Europe. https://www.cvce.eu/content/publication/2012/5/29/1403ebca-0839-4eca-9423-c9fcb7452555/publishable_en.pdf.
- De Grauwe, Paul. 2018. Economics of Monetary Union. 12th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press. https://academic.oup.com/cesifo/article/59/3/520/281810.
- Delors, Jacques, et al. 1989. Report on Economic and Monetary Union in the European Community. Brussels. http://aei.pitt.edu/1007/1/monetary_delors.pdf.
- Keynes, John Maynard. 1936. The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Kydland, Finn E., and Edward C. Prescott. 1977. Rules Rather than Discretion: The Inconsistency of Optimal Plans. The Journal of Political Economy 85 (3): 473–492. http://www.finnkydland.com/papers/Rules%20Rather%20than%20Discretion%20The%20Inconsistency%20of%20Optimal%20Plans.pdf.
- Laurent, Éloi, and Jacques Le Cacheux. 2006. Integrity and Efficiency in the EU: The Case Against the European Economic constitution. Harvard CES Working Papers 130. https://hal-sciencespo.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/972707/filename/laurent-lecacheux.pdf.
- Le Cacheux, Jacques, and Éloi Laurent. 2015. Report on the State of the European Union. Is Europe Sustainable. Vol. 4. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- MacDougall, Donald (Sir), et al. 1977. Report of the Study Group on the Role of Public Finance in European Integration. https://www.cvce.eu/content/publication/2012/5/31/c475e949-ed28-490b-81ae-a33ce9860d09/publishable_en.pdf.
- Mundell, Robert A. 1961. A Theory of Optimal Currency Areas. The American Economic Review 51 (4): 657–665.Google Scholar
- Olson, Mancur. 1969. The Principle of “Fiscal Equivalence”: The Division of Responsibilities Among Different Levels of Government. The American Economic Review 59 (2): 479–487.Google Scholar
- Sapir, André, et al. 2003. An Agenda for a Growing Europe: Making the EU Economic System Deliver. Report of an Independent High-Level Study Group Established on the Initiative of the President of the European Commission. Brussels. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.620.4948&rep=rep1&type=pdf.
- Sargent, Thomas J. 1982. The Ends of Four Big Inflations. In Inflation: Causes and Effects, ed. Robert E. Hall. Chicago: Chicago University Press. http://www.nber.org/chapters/c11452.pdf.
- Sargent, Thomas J., and Neil Wallace. 1981. Some Unpleasant Monetarist Arithmetic. Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis Quarterly Review 5: 1–17.Google Scholar
- Schiavo, Stefano. 2008. Financial Integration, GDP Correlation, and the Endogeneity of Optimal Currency Areas. Economica 75 (297): 168–189. https://hal-sciencespo.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/1022326/filename/schiavo-economica.pdf.Google Scholar
- Stiglitz, Joseph E. 2015. Reconstructing Macroeconomic Theory to Manage Economic Policy. In Fruitful Economics, Papers in Honor of and by Jean-Paul Fitoussi, ed. Éloi Laurent and Jacques Le Cacheux. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Werner, Pierre. 1970. Report to the Council and the Commission on the Realization by Stages of Economic and Monetary Union in the Community. http://aei.pitt.edu/1002/1/monetary_werner_final.pdf.
- Woodford, Michael. 2001. Fiscal Requirements for Price Stability. NBER Working Papers 8072, January. http://www.nber.org/papers/w8072.