Interdisciplinary Care Model: Chronic Kidney Disease and Oral Health
Global prevalence of chronic kidney disease (CKD) has increased significantly, along with the annual death rate due to CKD and the associated high cost of treatment. Oral and maxillofacial impact is noted in the context of CKD. This chapter provides an overview of the oral and renal association and mechanisms through which oral disease contributes to CKD risk. Authors also present technological implications and various risk assessment tools that can be used in clinical practice. Further, the chapter highlights the advancing potential for translation of precision medicine approaches to the clinical arena to optimize CKD management across the disease spectrum to improve CKD detection and outcomes. Finally, the chapter identifies important gaps in clinical practice guidelines with respect to advancing integrated dental-medical care delivery due to absence of emphasis on potential oral-renal interactions which have been demonstrated and validated in the evidence base by systematic review.
KeywordsChronic renal insufficiency Periodontitis Integrated health care delivery Electronic health record Clinical decision support systems
- Abe D, Kubota T, Morozumi T, Shimizu T, Nakasone N, Itagaki M, Yoshie H. Altered gene expression in leukocyte transendothelial migration and cell communication pathways in periodontitis-affected gingival tissues. J Periodontal Res. 2011;46(3):345–53. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0765.2011.01349.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) surveillance project. 2018. https://nccd.cdc.gov/ckd/default.aspx. Accessed 10 June 2018.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Chronic kidney disease basics. Chronic kidney disease initiative. CDC. 2017. https://www.cdc.gov/kidneydisease/basics.html. Accessed 30 Aug 2018.
- Cole N, Liyanage H, Suckling R, Swift P, Gallagher H, Byford R, et al. An ontological approach to identifying cases of chronic kidney disease from routine primary care data: a cross-sectional study. BMC Nephrol. 2018;19(1):85. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-018-0882-9.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Davanian H, Stranneheim H, Båge T, Lagervall M, Jansson L, Lundeberg J, Yucel-Lindberg T. Gene expression profiles in paired gingival biopsies from periodontitis-affected and healthy tissues revealed by massively parallel sequencing. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e46440. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0046440.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Davison S, Levin A, Moss AH, Jha V, Brown E, Brennan F, et al. Executive summary of the KDIGO Controversies Conference on Supportive Care in Chronic Kidney Disease: developing a roadmap to improving quality care. Kidney Int. 2015;88(3):447–59. https://doi.org/10.1038/ki.2015.110.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gheewala P, Peterson G, Zaidi S, Jose M, Castelino R. Evaluation of a chronic kidney disease risk assessment service in community pharmacies. Nephrology. 2018a; https://doi.org/10.1111/nep.13247.
- KDIGO Workgroup. KDIGO 2012 clinical practice guideline for the evaluation and management of chronic kidney disease. Kidney Int Suppl. 2013;3(1):1–150.Google Scholar
- KDIGO. Guidelines. KDIGO; 2018. https://kdigo.org/guidelines/. Accessed 9 June 2018.
- National Kidney Foundation. Global facts: about kidney disease. National Kidney Foundation; 2015. https://www.kidney.org/kidneydisease/global-facts-about-kidney-disease. Accessed 9 June 2018.
- National Kidney Foundation. Global facts: about kidney disease. 2017. https://www.kidney.org/kidneydisease/global-facts-about-kidney-disease#_ENREF_3. Accessed 30 Aug 2018.
- NIDDK. Kidney disease statistics for the United States. NIDDK; 2018. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/kidney-disease. Accessed 9 June 2018.
- Nkuipou-Kenfack E, Duranton F, Gayrard N, Argilés À, Lundin U, Weinberger K, et al. Assessment of metabolomic and proteomic biomarkers in detection and prognosis of progression of renal function in chronic kidney disease. PLoS One. 2014;9(5):e96955. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0096955.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ott SM, Elder G. Osteoporosis associated with chronic kidney disease. In: Osteoporosis. Amsterdan: Elsevier; 2013. p. 1387–424. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-415853-5.00058-3.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pontes F, Lopes M, de Souza L, dos Santos da Mata Rezende D, Santos-Silva A, Jorge J, et al. Oral and maxillofacial manifestations of chronic kidney disease–mineral and bone disorder: a multicenter retrospective study. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018;125(1):31–43. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oooo.2017.09.011.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sagliker Y, Balal M, Sagliker Ozkaynak P, Paydas S, Sagliker C, Sabit Sagliker H, et al. Sagliker syndrome: uglifying human face appearance in late and severe secondary hyperparathyroidism in chronic renal failure. Semin Nephrol. 2004;24(5):449–55. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15490409CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Smiley C, Tracy S, Abt E, Michalowicz B, John M, Gunsolley J, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guideline on the nonsurgical treatment of chronic periodontitis by means of scaling and root planing with or without adjuncts. J Am Dent Assoc. 2015;146(7):525–35. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2015.01.026.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar