Economics of Clinical Data Integration
This chapter discusses dental insurance, its coverage and its relationship to overall health status of the population in the United States (US). Limited coverage can have impacts beyond oral health. An emphasis has been placed on how the management of chronic and oral conditions can lead to improvements in cost management. Private insurers have taken note of this. Further, the chapter includes examples of tangible financial gains of integrated management of care in health settings. Potential pathways including health economics perspective to improve both oral and systemic health have been discussed. Subsequently the authors delve directly into the economics of integration.
KeywordsInsurance Integrated health care systems Health expenditures Health care economics Managed care programs Financial management
- ADA News. Study: dental benefits can help employers improve workforce, their bottom line. 2018. https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada-news/2018-archive/january/study-dental-benefits-can-help-employers-improve-workforce-their-bottom-line. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- ADEAFGIES Foundation. William J. Gies and the Gies Report. 1926. http://www.adea.org/ADEAGiesFoundation/William-J-Gies-and-Gies-Report.aspx. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Aetna. Aetna’s dental medical integration program may help lower costs and result in better health – the health section. 2013. https://news.aetna.com/news-releases/aetnas-dental-medical-integration-program-may-help-lower-costs-and-result-in-better-health/. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- Aetna. Dental-Medical Integration Program. Aetna Dental. 2018. https://www.aetnadental.com/professionals/dental-overall-health/dental-medical-integration-program.html. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Allen J. Diabetes: half of U.S. adults at risk by 2020, says United Health Group – ABC News. 2010. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/Diabetes/diabetes-half-us-adults-risk-2020-unitedhealth-group/story?id=12238602. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Amadeo K. Rising health care costs: causes, by year. 2016. https://www.thebalance.com/causes-of-rising-healthcare-costs-4064878. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- American College of Physicians. Nation’s top primary care physician organizations release guidelines for patient-centered medical home recognition programs. ACP Newsroom. ACP. 2007. https://www.acponline.org/acp-newsroom/nations-top-primary-care-physician-organizations-releaseguidelines-for-patient-centered-medical-home. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- American Diabetes Association. The cost of diabetes: American Diabetes Association®. 2018. http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy/news-events/cost-of-diabetes.html. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Anderson G. Chronic care: making the case for ongoing care – RWJF. 2010. https://www.rwjf.org/en/library/research/2010/01/chronic-care.html
- Carroll L. Mother’s gum disease linked to infant’s death – health – oral health. NBC News. 2010. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/34979552/ns/health-oral_health/t/mothers-gum-disease-linked-infants-death/. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- CDC. Chronic disease overview. Publications. Chronic disease prevention and health promotion. CDC. 2018. https://www.cdc.gov/chronicdisease/overview/index.htm#ref1. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, Chartbook: 2012 Edition (2012). https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Chronic-Conditions/Downloads/2012Chartbook.pdf.
- Chartbook. Chronic conditions among medicare beneficiaries. 2012. https://www.cms.gov/research-statistics-data-and-systems/statistics-trends-and-reports/chronic-conditions/downloads/2012chartbook.pdf
- Chazin S. Supporting efforts to advance adult dental coverage and access in medicaid - CHCS blog. 2015. https://www.chcs.org/health-affairs-grantwatch-blog-supporting-efforts-advance-adult-dental-coverage-access-medicaid/. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- CMS.gov. Medicaid incentives for prevention of chronic diseases grants. 2013. https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaReleaseDatabase/Fact-sheets/2011-Fact-sheets-items/2011-09-13.html. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- Consortia-pedia. Care connectivity consortium (CCC) – consortiapedia. 2012. http://consortiapedia.fastercures.org/consortia/ccc/. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- Council on Foundations. Grantmakers in health. 2018. https://www.cof.org/content/grantmakers-health. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Dark Daily. VA uses integrated health informatics to produce $3 billion in savings. 2011. https://www.darkdaily.com/va-uses-integrated-health-informatics-to-produce-3-billion-in-savings-12811/
- Delta Dental of Wisconsin. Medical conditions. Delta Dental of Wisconsin. 2018. https://www.deltadentalwi.com/your-health/medical-conditions. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- Dental Care News. U and M study links good oral care to lower diabetes cost. 2009. https://bcbsm.com/content/dam/public/Providers/Documents/newsletters/dcn-2009-oct.pdf. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- Dental Economics. The convergence of dental and medical care – Dental Economics. 2011. https://www.dentaleconomics.com/articles/print/volume-101/issue-4/practice/the-convergence-of-dental-and-medical-care.html. Accessed 15 Jun 2018.
- Errante. Institute for Oral Health – DentistryIQ. 2010. https://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2010/07/institute-for-oral.html. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Federal Reserve System. The fed – economic preparedness and emergency savings. 2017. https://www.federalreserve.gov/publications/2017-economic-well-being-of-us-households-in-2016-economic-preparedness.htm. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Giraldo. Annual European congress of rheumatology – PDF. 2016. http://docplayer.net/48932734-Annual-european-congress-of-rheumatology.html. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- HealthCare.gov. Dental coverage in the health insurance marketplace. 2018. https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/dental-coverage/. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Henry J Kaiser Family Foundation. Total number of medicare beneficiaries. 2015. https://www.kff.org/medicare/state-indicator/total-medicare-beneficiaries/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Inside Dentistry. Dentistry at large: CIGNA launches oral health maternity program. 2006. https://www.aegisdentalnetwork.com/id/2006/02/dentistry-at-large-cigna-launches-oral-health-maternity-program. Accessed 15 Jun 2018.
- March of Dimes. Premature babies cost employers $12.7 billion annually. 2014. https://www.marchofdimes.org/news/premature-babies-cost-employers-127-billion-annually.aspx. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- Martin J, Hamilton B, Osterman M, Driscol A, Drake P. Births: final data for 2016. Nat Vital Stat Rep. 2018;67:53. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr67/nvsr67_01.pdfGoogle Scholar
- Masterson, L. Skyrocketing chronic diseases will cause major healthcare spending spike. Healthcare Dive. 2017. https://www.healthcaredive.com/news/skyrocketing-chronic-diseases-will-cause-major-healthcare-spending-spike/443853/. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, Oral health in America: report of the surgeon general (2010). https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/access/NNBBJT.pdf.
- NADP Dental Plans. NADP – National Association of Dental Plans. 2018. http://www.nadp.org/. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Oberlander J. The political history of medicare. american society on aging. J Am Soc Aging. 2015. http://www.asaging.org/blog/political-history-medicare
- Ricardo A, Athavale A, Chen J, Hampole H, Garside D, Marucha P, Lash J. Periodontal disease, chronic kidney disease and mortality: results from the third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. BMC Nephrol. 2015;16:97. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12882-015-0101-x.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Roniger L. Kaiser Permanente premiers integrated medical-dental clinic. 2017. https://www.drbicuspid.com/index.aspx?sec=log&itemID=321032. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Shimpi N, Schwei K, Cooper S, Chyou P, Acharya A. Understanding patients’ oral health information needs. Findings of a survey on use of patient portals in dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adaj.2017.09.051.
- The Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion. About healthy people. Healthy people 2020. n.d. https://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/About-Healthy-People. Accessed 19 Mar 2018.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Oral Health Coordinating Committee. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Oral Health Strategic Framework, 2014–2017. Public health reports (Washington, D.C.: 1974), vol. 131. Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications; 2016. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26957659Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Veterans Health Administration 2010 facility quality and safety report - patient satisfaction. 2010. https://www.data.va.gov/dataset/veterans-health-administration-2010-facility-quality-and-safety-report-patient-satisfaction. Accessed 17 Jun 2018.
- UnitedHealthCare. Medical dental integration study. 2013. https://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2010/07/oral-health-america.html. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- USDHHS. Oral health in America: a report of the surgeon general. NIH publication no 00-4713. 2000. https://profiles.nlm.nih.gov/ps/retrieve/ResourceMetadata/NNBBJT/
- USDHHS. OIG 2015 work plan. Medicare (United States). Medicaid. 2016. https://www.scribd.com/document/245771221/OIG-2015-Work-Plan. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.
- Vistnes J, Davis K, Miller G. STATISTICAL BRIEF #477: results from the 2014 MEPS-IC private-sector national tables. 2015. https://meps.ahrq.gov/data_files/publications/st477/stat477.shtml. Accessed 16 Jun 2018.