Healthcare Systems: India
The modern Indian healthcare system has transformed from a solid foundation of ancient Ayurveda practice. The current healthcare system in India comprises a set of public and private institutions, controlled by the state government, the central government and private organizations. While government spending is reserved for only those institutions owned and run by the central and state governments, India’s dynamic medical structure is dominated by those controlled by private organizations. There has been a rise in the public health sectors and the co-operative sector as well.
This chapter will review the public and private healthcare delivery systems in India. With respect to spine treatment, this chapter will focus on the healthcare received in this speciality and deliver statistics that would give the reader an overview of the healthcare system in India.
KeywordsHealthcare system Indian healthcare delivery Private healthcare Public healthcare Ayurveda Yoga Spine surgery Healthcare device
- 1.AYUSH. Ministry of Ayush, Government of India, New Delhi. Retrieved May 25, 2008, from Ayush Web site: http://ayush.gov.in/about-the-systems (2018).
- 4.MICI. Medical council of India, New Delhi [Internet]. Retrieved May 25, 2008, from: https://mciindia.org/ActivitiWebClient/informationdesk/collegesearch
- 6.KPMG, Union Budget 2017–18 | Healthcare, from KPMG Web site: https://home.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/in/pdf/2017/02/Healthcare.pdf
- 7.Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation, New Delhi, from Web site: http://mospi.nic.in/download-reports?main_cat=NzIy&cat=All&sub_category=All
- 8.Pradhan Mantri Surakshit Matritva Abhiyan, Ministry for Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.Google Scholar
- 9.Health care Industry in India, IBEF publication, Ministry of commerce; 2018.Google Scholar
- 11.Indian Public Health Standards. National Health mission publication, IPHS revised guidelines; 2012.Google Scholar
- 12.Make in India. Retrieved May 20, 2008 [Internet]. Accessed at: http://www.makeinindia.com/article/-/v/sector-survey-medical-devices