Efficient Near-Infrared Eye Detection Utilizing Appearance Features
Eye detection has been a critical problem for iris recognition, face recognition and some other applications. However, the unconstrained scene brings a lot of challenging problems to eye detection such as occlusion, rotation, blur and complex background etc. In this paper, we propose a novel eye detection algorithm for near-infrared image. We put forward four factors, which are IVSF, PLG, DRDF and IOSF to represent eye region features. The method is mainly composed of two steps. Firstly, candidate positions are generated. Secondly, a multi-strategy fusion method is designed to confirm final eye position. The experimental results demonstrate that the proposed algorithm is accurate and fast compared with some existing methods.
KeywordsEye detection Unconstrained scene Near-infrared face image Multi-strategy fusion
This research is supported by National Natural Science Funds of China, No. 61703088, the Doctoral Scientific Research Foundation of Liaoning Province, No. 20170520326 and “the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities”, N160503003.
- 2.Singh, A.K., Joshi, P., Nandi, G.C.: Face recognition with liveness detection using eye and mouth movement. In: International Conference on Signal Propagation and Computer Technology, pp. 592–597 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, P., Green, M.B., Ji, Q., Wayman, J.: Automatic eye detection and its validation. IEEE Comput. Soc. Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recogn. Workshops 3(1), 164 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Dieckmann, U., Plankensteiner, P., Schamburger, R., Fröba, B., Meller, S.: SESAM: a biometric person identification system using sensor fusion. In: Bigün, J., Chollet, G., Borgefors, G. (eds.) AVBPA 1997. LNCS, vol. 1206, pp. 301–310. Springer, Heidelberg (1997). https://doi.org/10.1007/BFb0016009CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Viola, P.A., Jones, M.J.: Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Comput. Vis. Pattern Recogn. 1(2), 511–518 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Zhang, L., Lenders, P.: Knowledge-based eye detection for human face recognition. Int. Conf. Knowl. Based Intell. Eng. Syst. Allied Technol. 1(1), 117–120 (2000)Google Scholar