Turkish Migration into the North of Cyprus and the (Re)Construction of Turkish Cypriot Identity in the Turkish Cypriot Press (1995–2013)
Çıraklı examines the ways in which the twin issues of immigration from Turkey and the citizenship status of Turkish settlers were framed by the newspapers in northern Cyprus, within competing discourses on Turkish Cypriot identity. A key premise of the analysis is that the presence of populations from Turkey has become an important reference point for identity narratives in the Turkish Cypriot community. The chapter provides an overview of the print media and its enduring relationship with nationalism and the Cyprus problem, followed by a qualitative analysis of news reports and columns significant to the immigration debate.
- Avraamidou, M., & Kyriakides, C. (2015). Media Nationalism and the Negotiation of Inter-ethnic Peace in Cyprus. Global Media Journal: Mediterranean Edition, 10(2), 1–21.Google Scholar
- Christophorou, C. (2010). Greek Cypriot Media Development and Politics. The Cyprus Review, 22(2), 235–245.Google Scholar
- Christophorou, C., Sahin, S., & Pavlou, S. (2010). Media Narratives, Politics and the Cyprus Problem (PRIO Report 1-2010). Available online at http://eprints.lincoln.ac.uk/7679/1/Media_Narratives,_Politics_and_the_Cyprus_Problem.pdf. Last accessed 5 July 2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cyprus Weekly. (2003, August 8). Settlers Will Vote Against Denktash.Google Scholar
- Fairclough, N. (2001). Language and Power (2nd Ed.). Harlow, London: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Freedom House. (2017). Report on Cyprus. Available online at https://freedomhouse.org/report/freedom-world/2017/cyprus. Last accessed 30 Aug 2017.
- Hatay, M. (2005). Beyond Numbers: An Inquiry into the Political Integration of Turkish ‘Settlers’ in northern Cyprus (PRIO, Report 4/2005). Available online at https://www.prio.org/Programmes/Extensions/PRIO-Cyprus-Center/Publications/. Last accessed 20 Aug 2016.
- Kahvecioğlu, H. (2008). Country Report—Cyprus. Association of European Journalists. Full report available online at http://www.aej-uk.org/survey.htm. Last accessed 30 Aug 2016.
- Kathimerini. (2003, October 24). 54,000 Settlers in Cyprus Poll.Google Scholar
- Navaro-Yashin, Y. (2006). De-ethnicisizing the Ethnography of Cyprus: Political and Social Conflict between Turkish Cypriots and Settlers from Turkey. In Y. Papadakis, N. Peristianis, & G. Welz (Eds.), Divided Cyprus: Modernity, History, and an Island in Conflict (pp. 84–99). Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.Google Scholar
- Nevzat, A. (2005). Nationalism Amongst the Turks of Cyprus: The First Wave. Oulu: University of Oulu.Google Scholar
- Papathanassopoulos, S. (2007). The Mediterranean/Polarized Pluralist Media Model Countries: Introduction. In G. Terzis (Ed.), European Media Governance: National and Regional Dimensions. Bristol: Intellect Books.Google Scholar
- Psaltis, C., & Cakal, H. (2016). Social Identity in a Divided Cyprus. In S. McKeown, et al. (Eds.), Understanding Peace and Conflict Through Social Identity Theory (pp. 229–244). New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- TRNC Prime Minister’s Office. (2013). Ekonomik Program 2013–2015. Full text available online at: http://www.kktcbasbakanlik.org/Portals/1031/EKONOMIK_PROGRAM-2013-15.pdf. Last accessed 22 Sept 2014.
- Wodak, R., et al. (2009). The Discursive Construction of National Identity. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.Google Scholar
- Afrika 9/07/2000, 13/03/2003, 30/04/2010a, 1/07/2010b, 5/07/2010c, 30/07/2010d, 29/07/2011a, 26/11/2011b, 29/11/2011c, 10/12/2011d, 12/12/2011e, 31/01/2012a, 4/02/2012b, 27/03/2012c, 5/07/2012d, 6/01/2013a, 23/03/2013b, 21/11/2013c.Google Scholar
- Birlik 14/1/1988.Google Scholar
- Bozkurt 31/8/1975.Google Scholar
- Halkın Sesi 10/10/2003, 19/05/2004a, 17/06/2004b, 18/06/2004c, 20/06/2004d, 19/06/2012, 13/02/2015.Google Scholar
- Kıbrıs 8/10/2003a, 10/10/2003b, 15/10/2003c, 4/11/2003d, 7/04/2004, 7/10/2005a, 9/10/2005b, 4/05/2008a, 15/05/2008b, 25/05/2008c, 17/09/2008d, 13/11/2008e, 8/03/2009, 15/10/2010a, 16/10/2010b, 3/03/2011a, 4/03/2011b, 12/03/2011c, 24/03/2011d, 1/04/2011e, 3/05/2011f, 4/06/2011 g, 24–30/10/2013, 21/12/2014, 04/09/2015a, 17/09/2015b, 30/12/2015c, 22/04/2016.Google Scholar
- Ortam 29/5/1985.Google Scholar
- Yenidüzen 20/01/1986a, 10/02/1986b, 2/04/1996, 28/04/2004a, 10/05/2004b, 21/05/2004c, 19/04/2013a, 26/05/2013b, 26/09/2013c, 24/07/2014.Google Scholar
- Zaman 19/9/1975, 28/6/1976.Google Scholar