Optimizing the Design and Control of Decentralized Water Supply Systems – A Case-Study of a Hotel Building
To increase pressure to supply all floors of high buildings with water, booster stations, normally consisting of several parallel pumps in the basement, are used. In this work, we demonstrate the potential of a decentralized pump topology regarding energy savings in water supply systems of skyscrapers. We present an approach, based on Mixed-Integer Nonlinear Programming, that allows to choose an optimal network topology and optimal pumps from a predefined construction kit comprising different pump types. Using domain-specific scaling laws and Latin Hypercube Sampling, we generate different input sets of pump types and compare their impact on the efficiency and cost of the total system design. As a realistic application example, we consider a hotel building with 325 rooms, 12 floors and up to four pressure zones.
KeywordsEngineering optimization Energy efficiency Water Network Pump system Latin Hypercube Sampling
This research was supported by the German Research Foundation (DFG) as part of the Collaborative Research Center 805 “Control of Uncertainties in Load-Carrying Structures in Mechanical Engineering”.
- 1.Leise, P., Altherr, L.C., Pelz, P.F.: Energy-efficient design of a water supply system for skyscrapers by mixed-integer nonlinear programming. In: Kliewer, N., Ehmke, J., Borndörfer, R. (eds.) Operations Research Proceedings 2017. Operations Research Proceedings (GOR (Gesellschaft für Operations Research e.V.)), pp. 475–481. Springer, Cham (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Morsi, A., Geißler, B., Martin, A.: Mixed integer optimizationof water supply networks. In: Martin, A. et al. (eds.) MathematicalOptimization of Water Networks. International Series of Numerical Mathematics, vol. 162, pp. 35–54. Birkhäuser, Basel (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Gülich, J.F.: Centrifugal Pumps. Springer, Berlin (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Butler, D., Memon, F.A.: Water Demand Management. IWA Publishing, London (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Pedersen, G.K.M., Yang, Z.: Efficiency optimization of a multi-pump booster system. In: Proceedings of the 10th Annual Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, pp. 1611–1618. ACM (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.DIN 1988-300:2012-05: Codes of practice for drinking water installations - Part 300: Pipe sizing; DVGW code of practice. Beuth (2012)Google Scholar