Measuring Basic Needs Fulfillment and Its Relation to Health and Wellbeing
Prior research proposed five basic needs: belonging, understanding, control, enhancing self, and trust (BUCET). Individually, each has been associated with physical and mental health. To date, basic psychosocial needs have been measured individually. These studies aim to validate a new, short and comprehensive measure of basic psychosocial needs, the Basic Needs Satisfaction Survey (BNSS), and demonstrate its association with physical and mental health. Study 1 confirmed previous EFA results for the BNSS and tested both convergent and predictive validity. Study 2 used CFA and examined divergent validity. Regression models investigated the role of the BNSS subscales as predictors of physical and mental health. Analyses from two studies demonstrated construct validity and predictive ability, providing evidence that the BNSS is reliable and valid and significantly related to both physical and mental health independent of socioeconomic status. Useful for predicting health outcomes, BNSS may be useful as a screener in medical settings.
KeywordsBasic needs Health Wellbeing Depression Socioeconomic status
- Adler, N. E., & Ostrove, J. M. (1999). Socioeconomic status and health: What we know and what we don’t. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 896, 3–15. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1999.tb08101.x.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Barratt, W. (2006). The Barratt simplified measure of social status (BSMSS). Terre Haute: Indiana State University.Google Scholar
- Baumeister, R. F. (1991). Meanings of life. New York, NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Cattell, R. B. (1956). Validation and intensification of the sixteen personality factor questionnaire. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 12(3), 205–214. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-1-4832-0087-3.50015-2.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Crowne, D. P., & Marlowe, D. (1964). The approval motive. New York, NY: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Fiske, S. T. (2004). Social beings: Core motives in social psychology. New York, NY: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Goldberg, L. R., Johnson, J. A., Eber, H. W., Hogan, R., Ashton, M. C., Cloninger, C. R., & Gough, H. C. (2006). The international personality item pool and the future of public-domain personality measures. Journal of Research in Personality, 40, 84–96. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jrp.2005.08.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heisel, M. J., & Flett, G. L. (2004). Purpose in life, satisfaction with life, and suicide ideation in a clinical sample. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 26, 127–135. https://doi.org/10.1023/b:joba.0000013660.22413.e0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- House, J. S., Robbins, C., & Metzner, H. L. (1982). The association of social relationships and activities with mortality: Prospective evidence from the Tecumseh Community Health Study. American Journal of Epidemiology, 116, 123–140. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a113387.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Johnson Vickberg, S. M., Duhamel, K. N., Smith, M. Y., Manne, S. L., Winkel, G., Papadopoulos, E. B., & Redd, W. H. (2001). Global meaning and psychological adjustment among survivors of bone marrow transplant. Psycho-Oncology, 10, 29–39. https://doi.org/10.13072/midss.345.
- Moak, Z. B., & Agrawal, A. (2010). The association between perceived interpersonal social support and physical and mental health: Results from the National Epidemiological Survey on alcohol and related conditions. Journal of Public Health, 32, 191–201. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdp093.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rosseel, Y. (2012). Lavaan: An R package for structural equation modeling. Journal of Statistical Software, 48(2), 1–36. http://www.jstatsoft.org/v48/i02/.
- Sheldon, K. M., Williams, G., & Joiner, T. (2008). Self-determination theory in the clinic: Motivating physical and mental health. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Trzesniewski, K. H., Donnellan, M. B., Moffitt, T. E., Robins, R. W., Poulton, R., & Caspi, A. (2006). Low self-esteem during adolescence predicts poor health, criminal behavior, and limited economic prospects during adulthood. Developmental Psychology, 42, 381–390. https://doi.org/10.1037/e633962013-032.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Van Orden, K. A., Cukrowicz, K. C., Witte, T. K., & Joiner, T. E., Jr. (2012). Thwarted belongingness and perceived burdensomeness: Construct validity and psychometric properties of the interpersonal needs questionnaire. Psychological Assessment, 24, 197–215. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0025358.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vehling, S., Lehmann, C., Oechsle, K., Bokemeyer, C., Krüll, A., Koch, U., & Mehnert, A. (2011). Global meaning and meaning-related life attitudes: Exploring their role in predicting depression, anxiety, and demoralization in cancer patients. Supportive Care in Cancer, 19, 513–520. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-010-0845-6.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Watson, D., O’Hara, M. W., Chmielewski, M., McDade-Montez, E. A., Koffel, E., Naragon, K., & Stuart, S. (2008). Further validation of the IDAS: Evidence of convergent, discriminant, criterion, and incremental validity. Psychological Assessment, 20, 248–259. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0012570.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Williams, G. C., McGregor, H. A., Sharp, D., Levesque, C., Kouides, R. W., Ryan, R. M., & Deci, E. L. (2006). Testing a self-determination theory intervention for motivating tobacco cessation: Supporting autonomy and competence in a clinical trial. Health Psychology, 25, 91–101. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-6220.127.116.11.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Williams, G. C., McGregor, H. A., Zeldman, A., Freedman, Z. R., & Deci, E. L. (2004). Testing a self-determination theory process model for promoting glycemic control through diabetes self-management. Health Psychology, 23, 58–66. https://doi.org/10.1037/0278-618.104.22.168.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. (1948). Preamble to the Constitution of the World Health Organization as adopted by the International Health Conference, New York, 19–22 June, 1946; signed on 22 July 1946 by the representatives of 61 States (Official Records of the World Health Organization, no. 2, p. 100) and entered into force on 7 April 1948.Google Scholar
- Zika, S., & Chamberlain, K. (1992). On the relation between meaning in life and psychological well-being. British Journal of Psychology, 83, 133–145. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8295.1992.tb02429.x.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar