Geophysics in Archeology
This paper contains information about possibilities of exploration geophysics in solving archeological problems. High effectiveness of electromagnetic sounding at revealing ancient buildings remnants in urban conditions, dating the layers of anthropogenic formations and tracing their bottoms using Impulse-auto M-1/0-20 electromagnetic surveying system is demonstrated herein. The measurement procedure and developed computer technologies for processing geophysical information, which allow solving particular archeological problems and evaluating their veracity, are stated in this paper. The results of conducted researches on the examples of archeological objects of the Kazan Kremlin, Bogoroditsky Monastery, Bilyar and Bulgar settlements of the Republic of Tatarstan are considered here.
KeywordsGeophysics Electromagnetic sounding Cultural layer Archeology
This study was funded by the subsidy allocated to Kazan Federal University as part of the state program for increasing its competitiveness among the world’s leading centers of science and education.
- Khuzin F.Sh. (2001) The Bulgarian city. – Kazan: Master Line, 2001.Google Scholar
- Khuzin F.Sh., Sitdikov A.G. (1996) Ancient Kazan through the eyes of contemporaries and histo-rians. – Kazan: Fest, 1996.Google Scholar
- Slepak Z.M. (2007) Urban geophysics, – M. EAGO, GERS Publishing house, 2007, p. 239.Google Scholar
- Slepak Z.M. (2010) Exploration geophysics in archeology, Publishing house of Kazan University, 2010, p. 222.Google Scholar
- Slepak Z.M. (2016) Geophysical researches to identify the remnants of the Cathedral in the name of Icon of Our Lady of Kazan and churches in the territory of the Kazan Bogoroditsky Monastery. Collection of selected articles based on the results of the International Practical Conference: The Miraculous Kazan Image of the Virgin in the fates of Russia and World Civilization. Kazan, Center for Innovative Technologies, 2016. pp. 139–144.Google Scholar
- Slepak Z. (1997) Complex geophysical investigations for Studying the Cultural Layer and Re-mains of Ancient Buildings in the Territory of Kazan Kremlin // Archeological prospection. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 1997. Vol. 4. P. 207–218.Google Scholar
- Slepak Z. (1999) Electromagnetic Sounding and Highprecision Gravimeter Survey Define Ancient Stone Building Remains in the Territory of Kazan Kremlin // Archeological prospection. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 1999. Vol. 6. P. 147–160.Google Scholar