Health and Welfare Advocate
Social and healthcare professionals working with older people often encounter situations where there is a need to act in a role of advocate related to health and well-being of older adults. Advocacy may be defined and take place on different levels from ethical and legal frameworks to practical activities. With support of professionals as advocates, the older population will have their voices heard and their health and well-being needs met.
KeywordsHealth and welfare advocate Collective prevention Health promotion Advocating older persons Social map Social networks
- 2.World Health Organization. Health Promotion Glossary. 1998. http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/about/HPR%20Glossary%201998.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 15 Feb 2018.
- 3.World Health Organization (WHO). The Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion, First International Conference on Health Promotion, Ottawa; 1986. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/129532/Ottawa_Charter.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 26 Aug 2017.
- 4.Hubinette M, Dobson S, Voyer S, Regehr G. ‘We’ not ‘I’: health advocacy is a team sport. Med Educ. 2014;48:295–901.Google Scholar
- 6.Smith BJ, Tangi KC, Nutbeam D. WHO Health Promotion Glossary: new terms. Health Promotion International Advance Access published September 7, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapro/dal033. http://www.who.int/healthpromotion/about/HP%20Glossay%20in%20HPI.pdf?ua=1. Accessed 15 Feb 2018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.World Health Organization Regional Office for Europe. Strategy and action plan for health ageing in Europe, 2012–2020. Regional Committee for Europe. Sixty-second session, Malta, 10–13 September 2012. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0008/175544/RC62wd10Rev1-Eng.pdf. Accessed 26 Aug 2017.
- 8.World Health Organization. Health 2020. A European policy framework and strategy for the 21st century. 2013. http://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/199532/Health2020-Long.pdf. Accessed 18 Sept 2017.
- 9.Leppo K, Ollila E, Peña S, Wismar M, Cook S, editors. Health in All Policies. Seizing opportunities, implementing policies. Helsinki: Ministry of Social Affairs and Health; 2013. http://julkaisut.valtioneuvosto.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/69920/URN_ISBN_978-952-00-3407-8.pdf?sequence=1. Accessed 8 Sept 2017.Google Scholar
- 11.Bunn F, Goodman C, Manthorpe J, Durand M-A, Hodkinson I, Rait G, Millac P, Davies S, Russell B, Wilson P. Supporting shared decision-making for older people with multiple health and social care needs: a protocol for a realist synthesis to inform integrated care models. BMJ Open. 2017;7:e014026. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2016014026.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 13.Elwyn G, Frosch D, Thomson R, Joseph-Williams N, Lloyd A, Kinnersley P, Cording E, Tomson D, Dodd C, Rollnick S, Edwards A, Barry M. Shared decision making: a model for clinical practice. J Gen Intern Med. 2012;27(10):1361–7. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11606-012-2077-6.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 15.Ford JA, Kharicha K, Clarke CS, Clark A, Iliffe S, Goodman C, Manthrope J, Steel N, Walters K. Service use of older people who participate in primary care health promotion: a latent class analysis. BMC Health Serv Res. 2017;17:176–81. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-017-2122-6.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 17.Stuck AE, Moser A, Morf U, Wirz U, Wyser J, Gillman G, Born S, Zwahlen M, Iliffe S, Harari D, Swift C, Beck J, Egger M. Effect of health risk assessment and counselling on health behaviour and survival in older people: a pragmatic randomised trial. PLoS Med. 2015;12(10):e1001889. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1001889.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 18.Iliffe S, Kharicha K, Harari D, Swift C, Goodman C, Mantho J. User involvement in the development of a health promotion technology for older people: findings from the SWISH project. Health Soc Care Community. 2010;18:147–59. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2524.2009.00882.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Walters K, Kharicha K, Goodman C, Handley M, Manthorpe J, Cattan M, Morris S, Clarke C, Round J, Iliffe S. Promoting independence, health and wellbeing for older people: a feasibility study of computer-aided health and social risk appraisal system in primary care. BMC Fam Pract. 2017;18:47. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12875-017-0620-6.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar