Stress Induced Degradation of High-k Gate Dielectric Ta2O5 Thin Films on Silicon
This work describes the influence of constant current stress induced degradation in reactively sputtered Ta2O5 thin film in pure argon and argon plus nitrogen within plasma. Capacitors were fabricated and the interface was characterized using I-V and C-V methods. X-ray diffraction (XRD) technique revealed the presence of N2 content in Ta2O5 films. A comparison between Ta2O5 films doped with and without N2 with respect to flat band shift and leakage current density is also presented. Post deposition annealing at 650° CreducesO/Ta ratio because of the formation of suboxides. It results in high quality TaOx film with high capacitance and low leakage current. On being stressed, flat band voltage in annealed devices shifts towards negative direction as a result positive charge traps are observed in high-k thin films. Incorporation of nitrogen in Ta2O5 dielectric films retain the intrinsic effect that significantly diminish the electron leakage current through deactivating the Vo (oxygen vacancy) related gap states.
Authors thank Prof. B. R. Singh, IIIT-Allahabad for his constant support and encouragement.
- 4.M. Houssa, M. Naili, V.V. Afanas’ev, M.M. Heyns, A. Stesmans, Electrical and physical characterization of high-k dielectric layers, in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on VLSI Technology, Systems, and Applications, pp. 196–199 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.M.M. Howard, C.A. Ventrice, H. Geisler, D.A. Hite, P.T. Sprunger, Growth morphology and electronic structure of ultra-thin TaOx films on Ag (100), in MRS Online Proceedings Library Archive, vol. 623 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.T. Hori, Gate Dielectric and MOS ULSI. Principles, Technologies and Applications. In Springer Series in Electronics and Photonics, vol. 34 (1997)Google Scholar
- 16.S. Knebel et al. Reliability comparison of ZrO2 based DRAM High-k dielectrics under DC and AC Stress. IEEE Trans. Device Mater. Reliab. (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.E. Atanassova, A. Paskaleva, High temperature N/sub 2/annealing-a promising way for improving the structure of Ta/sub 2/O/sub 5/and its interface with Si, in 24th IEEE International Conference on Microelectronics, vol. 2 (2004), pp. 467–470Google Scholar
- 21.E.H. Nicollian, J.R. Brews, MOS (Metal Oxide Semiconductor) Physics and Technology (Wiley, New York, 1982)Google Scholar
- 22.A. Rao, J. D’sa, S. Goyal, B.R. Singh, Conduction and field induced degradation in thin ZrO2 films sputtered in nitrogen containing plasma on silicon. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 25(3), 1583–1588 (2014)Google Scholar