A Comparative Study of Metal Oxide Modified, Silicon Wafer and Silicon Nanowires on Silicon Chip as Gas/Vapor Sensing Element
The synthesis and room temperature chemical gas sensing behavior of the as-grown n-Tin Oxide (SnO2) on p-type polycrystalline Silicon (pc-Si) and silicon nanowires (SiNWs) on Silicon substrate are reported in this paper. The Metal assisted Chemical Etching of pc-Si has resulted into vertically aligned, uniform grown highly dense SiNWs. These NWs on pc-Si substrate are decorated by SnO2 particles by the Electro-deposition technique. The surface morphology of fabricated device by SEM depicts SnO2 particles deposition on top of SiNWs. The sensing responses of pristine and tin oxide decorated Si substrate are compared with the sensing behavior of in situ and tin oxide modified SiNWs under the ammonia, acetone and ethanol environment. These results suggest that the proposed tin oxide decorated SiNWs shows analyte selectivity with appreciable rise in responsivity (more than 50%) due to nanostructure of SiNWs template.
The authors are thankful to Dr. Ashok K. Chauhan, Founder President, Amity University, Noida for his continuous guidance and encouragement. The authors would also like to thank Dr. D. N. Singh from IndoSolar Pvt. Ltd., India for providing the silicon wafer to carry out the experiments.
- 1.J. Zhang, X. Liu, G. Neri, N. Pinna, Nanostructured materials for room-temperature gas sensors. Mater. Views 28, 795–831 (2016)Google Scholar
- 3.N. Lal, Room temperature gas sensing with ultrathin Au nanowires. J. Mater. Sci. Eng. 5, 1–5 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.S. Baco, A. Chik, Study on optical properties of tin oxide thin film at different annealing temperature. J. Sci. Technol. 61–72 (2011)Google Scholar
- 11.A.G. Nassiopoulou, V. Gianneta, C. Katsogridakis, Si nanowires by a single-step metal-assisted chemical etching process on lithographic defined areas: formation kinetics. Nanoscale Res. Lett. 6, 1–8 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.M.A. Lachiheb, N. Nafie, M. Bouaicha, The dual role of silver during silicon etching in HF solution. Nanoscale Res. Lett. 7, 1–5 (2012)Google Scholar
- 16.C.S. Rout, M. Hegde, A. Govindaraj, C.N.R. Rao, Ammonia sensors based on metal oxide nanosructures. Nanotechnology 2007 (2007)Google Scholar