Current Status of Emerging Vascular-Streak Dieback (VSD) on Cacao in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
In Indonesia, vascular-streak dieback (VSD) caused by Oncobasidium theobromae was recently reported as an important emerging disease destroying cacao plantation in Sumatera, Sulawesi and East Java. Yogyakarta is one of cacao plantation center in Indonesia but current report of this disease status has not been clarified. Therefore, survey of VSD cacao disease was undertaken in this research which were conducted in Gunungkidul and Kulon Progo Regency, the central of cacao plants in Yogyakarta Special Province. Disease incidence and severity were measured in five cacao plantation area each regency. The result showed that generally VSD was found more severe in Gunungkidul than in Kulon Progo. Disease incidence of VSD in Gunungkidul varied from 30% to 100%; with disease intensity varied from 7.5% to 60%. In Kulon Progo, disease incidence varied from 0% to 70% with disease intensity varied from 0% to 25%. Cacao plantation with routine pruning showed lower disease intensity of VSD disease. This survey indicated that current status of VSD is critical as one of emerging plant diseases in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
KeywordsCacao Emerging disease Indonesia Vascular streak dieback VSD
Papua New Guinea
This research was supported by PT Pagilaran Indonesia and Faculty of Agriculture, Universitas Gadjah Mada through Research Grant of Cacao and Tea 2017.
- 1.Mulyatni AS, Priyatmojo A, Purwantara A. Sekuen internal transcribed spacer (ITS) DNA ribosomal Oncobasidium theobromae dan jamur sekerabat pembanding [Internal transcribed spacer (ITS) ribosomal DNA sequences of Oncobasidium theobromae and related fungi]. Menara Perkebunan. 2011;79(1):1–5. [in Bahasa Indonesia]Google Scholar
- 3.Samuels GJ, Ismaiel A, Rosmana A, Junaid M, Guest D, Macmahon P, Keane P, Purwantara A, Lambert S, Rodriguez-Carres M, Cubeta MA. Vascular streak dieback of cacao in Southeast Asia and Melanesia: in planta detection of the pathogen and a new taxonomy. Fungal Biol. 2012;116:11–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.McMahon P, Purwantara A. Vascular streak dieback (Ceratobasidium theobromae): history and biology. In: Bailey BA, Meinhardt LW, editors. Cacao diseases. A history of old enemies and new encounters. Basel: Springer; 2016. p. 307–35.Google Scholar
- 6.Trisno J, Reflin, Martinius. Vascular streak dieback: penyakit baru tanaman kakao di Sumatera Barat [Vascular streak dieback: a new disease on cacao plantation in West Sumatera]. J Fitop Indonesia. 2017;12(4):142–7. [In Bahasa Indonesia]Google Scholar
- 7.Rosmana A. Vascular streak dieback: penyakit baru pada tanaman kakao di Sulawesi [Vascular Streak Dieback: A new disease of cacao in Sulawesi]. Proceeding of scientific seminar and annual meeting of PEI and PFI XVI South Sulawesi District. Makassar. 2006; p. 1–7. [In Bahasa Indonesia].Google Scholar
- 8.Syarif M, Anshary A, Umrah. Identifikasi penyakit vascular dieback (VSD) dan tingkat serangan serta pengaruhnya pada pertumbuhan kakao di Tiga Desa Kec. Palolo Kab. Sigi [Vascular dieback (VSD) identification, infection and its influence against cacao growth in three villages of Palolo Subdistrict, Sigi District]. Jurnal Sains dan Tek. Tadulako. 2016; 5(2):64–76. [In Bahasa Indonesia].Google Scholar
- 9.Alvindia DG, Gallema FLM. Lasiodiplodia theobromae causes vascular streak dieback (VSD)-like symptoms of cacao in Davao Region, Philippines. Australas Plant Dis Notes. 2017; 12(54):279–283.Google Scholar