Development of a Web-Based Decision Support System for Strategic and Tactical Sustainable Fleet Management Problems in Intermodal Transportation Networks
This paper presents a web-based decision support system (DSS) which uses a fuzzy-stochastic mathematical programming based model for strategic and tactical intermodal fleet management. Indeed, several sub-problems such as load planning, fleet sizing and composition, fleet allocation, vehicle inventory control, fleet expansion/reduction and empty vehicle repositioning decisions are incorporated into the proposed DSS. Therefore, it has a modular structure to support these interactive decisions in an integrated manner. In the model component of the proposed DSS, in addition to optimize overall transportation costs, users are able to provide environmentally conscious and customer-oriented freight and fleet plans by minimizing total transit times and CO2 emissions. In the data component, an object-relational database management system namely Oracle was utilized. The LINGO 15.0 optimization code of the proposed model is run over C# and object-oriented matching was utilized for connection among Oracle database and C# programs. The web-based user interface is designed by using .Net and C# programs on Microsoft Visual Studio. The proposed system is tested on a real-life application in an international logistics company of Turkey. By making use of such a DSS, effective and efficient fleet and freight plans can be generated under different types of uncertainties and risk-levels.
KeywordsFleet management software Intermodal transportation Web-based decision support systems Mathematical programming Sustainable fleet planning
This paper is supported by Ministry of Science, Industry & Technology of Turkey in the scope of SAN-TEZ project No: 0617.STZ.2014.
- Andersson, T. (2005). Decision support tools for dynamic fleet management – applications in airline planning and ambulance logistics. Dissertation No. 942, Department of Science and Technology Linköpings Universitet, Norrköping.Google Scholar
- Baykasoğlu, A., & Subulan, K. (2017). A new intermodal fleet planning model via hybrid fuzzy-stochastic mathematical programming method. In Abstract book of international workshop on mathematical methods in engineering (p. 123). Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Baykasoğlu, A., Subulan, K., Dudaklı, N., Taşan, A. S., Kaplan, M. C., & Turan, M. (2015). A new mixed-integer programming model for strategic and tactical fleet planning problems in intermodal transportation networks with a real life application. In Proceeding book of XIII: International logistics and supply chain congress (pp. 637–648). Izmir.Google Scholar
- Dudaklı, N., Baykasoğlu, A., Subulan, K., Tasan, A. S., Kaplan, M. C., & Turan, M. (2015). A mathematical model proposal for fleet planning problem of a real-life intermodal transportation network. In Abstract book international conference on operations research. Vienna.Google Scholar
- Ekol Logistics Inc. (2017). Retrieved from https://quadronet.ekol.com/login.aspx on 6th June.
- Jang, W., Noble, J., Klein, C., Nemmers, C., Yu, Z., & Zhang, Y. (2008). A decision support system for optimal depot and fleet management. A report from The Midwest Transportation Consortium Iowa State University.Google Scholar
- Kalinina, M., Olsson, L., & Larsson, A. (2013). A multi objective chance constrained programming model for intermodal logistics with uncertain time. International Journal of Computer Science Issues, 10(6), 35–44.Google Scholar
- Lindo Systems Inc. (2016). Retrieved from http://www.lindo.com/downloads/PDF/LINGO.pdf
- Polo, A., Robol, F., Nardin, C., Marchesi, S., Zorer, A., Zappini, L., Viani, F., Massa, A. (2014). Decision support system for fleet management based on TETRA terminals geolocation. IEEE 8th European conference on antennas and propagation.Google Scholar
- Saidane, C. (2007). Decision support system for the management of an Army’s tracked and wheeled vehicle fleet, Master Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School Monterey, California.Google Scholar
- Wayne, R. (1988). A decision support system for military vehicle fleet management, Thesis (M. Eng. Sc.), Australian Defence Force Academy, pp. 1–162.Google Scholar