Partnering as Strategy
Part II of the book addressed the directional elements of the vectoring model, starting with the statement of purpose then proceeding to discuss materialities, environmental, social and governance (ESG) ratings and professional investors’ attitudes toward sustainability efforts. Part III proceeds to uncover and harness the power of various accelerators of the sustainability efforts. In other words, once you have determined a potent direction for your sustainability program, how do you provide the maximum impetus for the program, particularly in a business environment that might not welcome it with open arms? What are the secret drivers for effective execution? In this part of the book, we investigate concepts such as partnering (often one of the most underrated drivers of impact), the concept of the circular economy, innovation and finally team-building. In Chap. 9, we illustrate the importance of human capital development for generating productive relationships with various stakeholders and discuss examples of creative sustainability partnerships. We present and discuss an original checklist to help you structure potential strategic partnerships, based on the concept of MASS development, where MASS stands for more alternative sustainable solutions. To illustrate the concepts in action, we conduct an in-depth analysis of the programs initiated by Novozymes, a Danish biotechnology company that turned partnering for sustainability into a core component of its corporate strategy.
- 1.Kiron, D., Kruschwitz, N., Reeves, M., et al. (2015) Joining forces: collaboration and leadership for sustainability. Cambridge, MA: Sloan Management Review Association, MIT Sloan School of Management.Google Scholar
- 2.Essilor (2015, December) See Change Our Contribution to Sustainable Development. Retrieved from https://www.essilor.com/essilor-content/uploads/2016/10/Essilor_See_Change_05_03_2015_DOUBLES-EN.pdf
- 3.Essilor (2017, July 4) Creating successful primary vision care providers in rural India. https://www.essilorseechange.com/website/creating-successful-primary-vision-care-providers-rural-india. Accessed 6 May 2018.
- 4.Abbatiello, A., Agarwal, D., Bersin, J., et al. (2018) The rise of the social enterprise, 2018 Deloitte Global Human Capital Trends. Deloitte. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/be/Documents/human-capital/0000_HC%20Trends_2018_BE.PDF
- 5.Deloitte (2018, April 3) Deloitte Study: 73 Percent Report C-Suite Isn’t Working Together Despite Need for Increased Collaboration on Human Capital Challenges [Press release]. PR Newswire. Retrieved from https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/deloitte-study-73-percent-report-c-suite-isnt-working-together-despite-need-for-increased-collaboration-on-human-capital-challenges-300622910.html
- 6.Andersen, E. (2018) Beer’s untapped potential: the growing consumer appetite for environmentally-friendly products. Presentation at the Brewers of Europe Forum, 7–8 June 2019.Google Scholar
- 7.Carlsberg (2018) Zero carbon footprint. https://carlsberggroup.com/sustainability/our-ambitions/zero-carbon-footprint/. Accessed 19 March 2018.
- 8.Foing, Y. (2018, February 27) Feeding Asia: Collaboration is key to combating malnutrition. Asian Correspondent. Retrieved from https://asiancorrespondent.com/2018/02/feeding-asia-collaboration-key-combating-malnutrition/#TAqy5FbYwEiz0cRx.97
- 10.Economy, P. (2018, February 6) How to Live at the Edge of Your Capabilities, According to Will Smith. Inc. Retrieved from https://www.inc.com/peter-economy/how-to-live-at-edge-of-your-capabilities-according-to-will-smith.html
- 11.Mieras, E. (2014, August 11) Business Decision Making | Materiality Assessment vs. Hotspot Analysis. PRé Sustainability. Retrieved from https://www.pre-sustainability.com/news/business-decision-making-materiality-assessment-vs.-hotspot-analysis
- 12.Potting, J., Hekkert, M., Worrell, E. et al. (2017, January) Circular economy: measuring innovation in the product chain. The Hague: PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency. Retrieved from http://www.pbl.nl/sites/default/files/cms/publicaties/pbl-2016-circular-economy-measuring-innovation-in-product-chains-2544.pdf
- 13.AB InBev (2018, March 21) AB InBev launches 2025 Sustainability Goals and 100+ Accelerator to advance local innovations for pressing global challenges [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.ab-inbev.com/content/dam/universaltemplate/ab-inbev/News/press-releases/public/2018/03/20180321_EN.pdf
- 14.Henderson, J. (IMD) (2015) Leveraging Strategic Partnerships program [Open edX]. Retrieved from https://onlinecourses.imd.org/courses/Strategy/LSP/2015_1/about
- 15.Novozymes (2018) The Novozymes Report 2017. Retrieved from https://report2017.novozymes.com
- 16.Bayer (2018, June 7) Bayer closes Monsanto acquisition [Press release]. Retrieved from https://media.bayer.com/baynews/baynews.nsf/id/Bayer-closes-Monsanto-acquisition