Encouraging a Culture of Sustainability
In the previous chapters, we have illustrated the importance of companies developing a clear sense of direction through the formulation of a clear statement of purpose. Based upon case studies, industry data and best practices from top decile sustainability leaders, we have uncovered different ways in which purpose statements can become effective drivers of sustainability programs, building on examples from adidas and Interface. The relevance of establishing a sustainability strategy based on carefully selected material issues for ESG ratings was highlighted. More importantly, we have portrayed the tendency of organizations to address too many sustainability topics that bear little to no relevance to their core businesses, which results in reducing the impact of the programs. In the following sections, we underline the significance of the leadership’s effort to embed sustainability into the core business strategy, the importance of harnessing a culture of sustainability and the impact of corporate behavior on performance. In the later sections, we suggest a tool for measuring corporate culture and stress the benefits of the systematic measurement of sustainability performance on culture, talent attraction and retention.
- 1.Freya Williams, E. (2015) Green Giants: How Smart Companies Turn Sustainability into Billion-Dollar Businesses. LLC Gildan Media.Google Scholar
- 2.Wikipedia contributors (2016, October 28) Haarlem oil. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Haarlem_oil&oldid=746575116. Accessed 4 May 2018.
- 3.GlobeScan SustainAbility Survey (2016) The 2017 Sustainability Leaders: Celebrating 20 Years of Leadership. Accessed 15 March 2018.Google Scholar
- 4.Unilever (2018) Sustainable Living. https://www.unilever.com/sustainable-living/. Accessed 17 April 2018.
- 5.Skapinker, M., Daneshkhu, S. (2016, September 29) Can Unilever’s Paul Polman change the way we do business? Financial Times. Retrieved from https://www.ft.com/content/e6696b4a-8505-11e6-8897-2359a58ac7a5
- 6.Ignatius, A. (2017, November 14) The Opportunity of Sustainability. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2017/11/the-future-economy-project-qa-with-paul-polman
- 7.Eccles, G., Ioannou, I., Serafeim, G. (2012, May 9) The Impact of a Corporate Culture of Sustainability on Corporate Behaviour and Performance. Working Paper 12-035, Harvard Business School. Retrieved from https://hbswk.hbs.edu/item/the-impact-of-corporate-sustainability-on-organizational-process-and-performance
- 8.Aiello, C. (2018, February 13) Uber’s loss jumped 61 percent to $4.5 billion in 2017. CNBC. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/13/ubers-loss-jumped-61-percent-to-4-point-5-billion-in-2017.html
- 9.Isaac, M. (2017, February 22) Inside Uber’s Aggressive, Unrestrained Workplace Culture. The New York Times. Retrieved from https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/technology/uber-workplace-culture.html
- 10.Belvedere, M. (2018, January 23) ‘Moral compass’ was off at Uber under co-founder Kalanick, says new CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. CNBC. Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/23/uber-moral-compass-under-co-founder-kalanick-was-off-new-ceo-says.html
- 11.Egan, M. (2016, September 9) 5,300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts. CNN Money. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2016/09/08/investing/wells-fargo-created-phony-accounts-bank-fees/index.html
- 12.Denison, D.R., Halligan, R., Ferry, K. (2017, March) The Board Perspective: Does Corporate Culture Matter? Denison Consulting. Retrieved from https://www.denisonconsulting.com/transform/article-corporate-culture-matter/
- 14.Denison, D., Hooijberg, R., Lane, N., Lief, C. (2012, June 26) Leading culture change in global organisations: Aligning culture and strategy. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- 15.Holliday, C., Schmidheiny, S., Watts, P. (2002, August 16) Walking the Talk: The Business Case for Sustainable Development. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc.Google Scholar
- 16.Wikipedia contributors. (2018, June 27). Hanseatic League. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Accessed 17 April 2018, from https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hanseatic_League&oldid=847706943
- 17.B Lab (2018) B Lab homepage. https://www.bcorporation.net/. Accessed 30 April 2018.
- 18.Primum Familiae Vini website, A Charter of Excellence, http://www.pfv.org/en/#/en/philosophy. Accessed 17 April 2018.
- 19.This case is an abridged version of GMA GARNET: JEBSEN & JESSEN’S ENVIRONMENTAL MINING (IMD-7-1860) Copyright © 2018 by IMD—International Institute for Management Development, Lausanne, Switzerland (www.imd.org). No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of IMD.
- 20.GMA Garnet (2017, October 20) GMA Garnet to Deploy A 3 MW Solar, Wind and Battery System in West Australia [Press release]. Retrieved from http://www.gmagarnet.com/en-au/info-hub/news-events/gma-garnet-to-deploy-a-3-mw-solar,-wind-and-batter/