Immersive Journalism: How Virtual Reality Impacts Investigative Storytelling
Journalists can utilise Virtual Reality (VR) technologies in many different ways. As “the ultimate” medium, VR can add new layers to a journalistic narrative. In this text, we (1) evaluate opportunities and challenges for VR journalists and those who are interested in telling their stories in an immersive way, we (2) discuss a specific VR use case that displays to what extent VR can help investigative journalists and we (3) introduce our VR platform Fader which allows journalists to create interactive VR stories easily and fast.
- A-Frame. (n.d.). [Homepage]. Retrieved from https://aframe.io/.
- Beckett, S. (2015, January 28). ‘Forensic Holodeck’ Recreates Crimes in 3D. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-30992099/forensic-holodeck-recreates-crimes-in-3d.
- Bogle, A. (2017, February 21). Virtual Reality Will Take ‘Maybe a Decade’ To Become Mainstream. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://mashable.com/2017/02/20/australia-virtual-reality-penetration/#E_GX2gVRRSqq.
- Bundy, T. (2015, February 14). Jehovah’s Witnesses Use 1st Amendment to Hide Child Sex Abuse Claims. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://www.revealnews.org/article/jehovahs-witnesses-use-1st-amendment-to-hide-child-sex-abuse-claims/.
- Bundy, T. (2016, November 29). Disfellowshipped: A Virtual Reality Experience. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://www.revealnews.org/article/disfellowshipped-a-virtual-reality-experience/.
- Deutschland Radio Kultur. (2017, April). Stasiverhöre: Manipulierte Geständnisse. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://blogs.deutschlandradiokultur.de/stasiverhoer/.
- Dolan, D., & Parets, M. (2016, January 14). Redefining The Axiom of Story: The VR And 360 Video Complex. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/14/redefining-the-axiom-of-story-the-vr-and-360-video-complex/.
- Fader. (n.d.-a). Discover. Retrieved from https://app.getfader.com/discover/.
- Fader. (n.d.-b). [Projects Created by Euronews]. Retrieved from https://app.getfader.com/discover?user=newmedia%40euronews.com.
- Fader. (n.d.-c). [Projects Created by Deutsche Welle]. Retrieved from https://app.getfader.com/discover?user=deutsche_welle.
- Fusion. (2015, August 17). Virtual-Reality Experiment Lets You Walk Around the Ferguson Shooting Scene. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://splinternews.com/virtual-reality-experiment-lets-you-walk-around-the-fer-1793844331.
- GONE GITMO. (2007, August 15). Gone Gitmo. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from http://gonegitmo.blogspot.de/search?updated-max=2007-08-17T14:04:00-07:00&max-results=7&start=35&by-date=false.
- Insta360. (n.d.). [Homepage]. Retrieved from https://www.insta360.com/.
- Maschio, T. (2017, July 28). Storyliving: An Ethnographic Study of How Audiences Experience VR and What That Means for Journalists. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://newslab.withgoogle.com/assets/docs/storyliving-a-study-of-vr-in-journalism.pdf.
- McCartney, G. (2011, March 2). A News Medium in Which You Are There. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://news.usc.edu/31775/a-news-medium-in-which-you-are-there/.
- New York Times. (2016, November 1). Introducing The Daily 360 From The New York Times. Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/01/nytnow/the-daily-360-videos.html?_r=0.
- Papagiannis, H. (2017). Augmented Human: How Technology Is Shaping The New Reality. Sebastopol, CA, USA: O’Reilly Media. Retrieved from https://www.augmentedhuman.co/.
- Rath-Wiggins, L. (2016, February 25). Writing for VR? Three Things to Remember! Retrieved December 12, 2017, from https://getfader.com/writing-for-vr/.
- Reveal News. (2017). Reveal News. Retrieved 2017, from https://www.revealnews.org/.
- Ricoh. (n.d.). [Website for Theta Product Line]. Retrieved from https://theta360.com/de/.
- Rouse, R., & Barba, E. (2017). Design for Emerging Media: How MR Designers Think About Storytelling, Process, and Defining the Field. USA: Springer International Publishing AG.Google Scholar
- Three.js. (n.d.). [Homepage]. Retrieved from https://threejs.org.