Yoko Tsuno and Franco-Belgian Girl Readers of Bande Dessinée
Yoko Tsuno is the most famous Japanese person in Belgium. However, the series’ name and titular character is an entirely fictional as well as a popular Bande Dessinée (BD, Franco-Belgian comics) title. Yoko Tsuno is an adventure comic that since the 1970s was serialized in the popular BD magazine Spirou. One of Yoko’s defining characteristics is that unlike other comic narratives with a Japanese heroine, Yoko is a character that is not in any significant way sexualized or overly orientalized by her creator. This chapter outlines the history of the series and looks at how Yoko had an effect on the reception of Japanese culture and in particular Japanese femininity in the Franco-Belgian context.
- Brown, Jeffrey A. 2013. Panthers and Vixens: Black Superheroines, Sexuality, and Stereotypes in Contemporary Comic Books. In Black Comics, Politics of Race and Representation, ed. Sheena C. Howard and Ronald L. Jackson II, 133–150. London: Bloomsbury Academic.Google Scholar
- Di Giorgio, Jean-Francois (scenario), and Vax (art). 2016. Sensei – L'école des loups solitaires. Daedalus.Google Scholar
- Le Duc, Dominique. 2011. Femmes en Images et Images de Femmes: L’Héroine de La Femme Piegé d’Enki Bilal. In The Francophone Bande Dessinée, Faux Titre, ed. Charles Forsdick, Laurence Grove, and Libbie McQuillan, 149–158. Amsterdam: Rodopi.Google Scholar
- Leloup, Roger. 1971/1990. Du miel pour Yoko. In Spirou. No. 1747. Trans. Ono Kosei, published in Comics A*ha, No. 5, 118–128.Google Scholar
- ———. 1972–2017. Yoko Tsuno, Vols. 1 to 28. Dupuis.Google Scholar
- Madrid, Mike. 2009. The Supergirls: Fashion, Feminism, Fantasy, and the History of Comic Book Heroines. Minneapolis: Exterminating Angel Press.Google Scholar
- Rheault, Sylvain. 2013. Japanese Culture in Franco-Belgian Bande Dessinée. International Journal of Comic Art 15: 383–394.Google Scholar
- Yamashita, Masayuki. 2009. Furansu no manga [French Manga] Ronsosha.Google Scholar
- Yoko Tsuno. official Website. http://www.yokotsuno.com/fr/accueil.html. Last Accessed 28 Jan 2016.