How Business Value Is Extracted from Operational Data: A Case Study
The case study by Ugray, Paper and Johnson follows the emergence of digital business models within a company as it strives to better serve its customers. Through analysis of the unique data accumulated from its operations, the organization found ways to unlock value for its customers and capture some of the value for its own success. The three major driving forces behind the mechanisms that led to develop new opportunities are the desire to serve customers better, the need to improve internal processes, and the drive of the data expert staff for technological progress. Even with only limited resources available, the mixture of the three driving forces led to successful innovations that sustained the growth of the company.
KeywordsDigital business model Analytics Big data Case study
- Barton, D., and D. Court. 2012. Making Analytics Work for You. Harvard Business Review 90: 79–83.Google Scholar
- Beal, V. 2015. Big Data Analytics. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/big_data_analytics.html.
- Bell, P. 2013. Creating Competitive Advantage Using Big Data. Ivey Business Journal (May): 1–5.Google Scholar
- Bertolucci, J. 2013a. Your Smartphone As Big Data Analytics Tool. InformationWeek, January 7.Google Scholar
- ———. 2013b. Big Data in 2014: 6 Bold Predictions. InformationWeek, December 23.Google Scholar
- Brands, K. 2014. Big Data and Business Intelligence for Management Accountants. Strategic Finance 96 (6): 64–64.Google Scholar
- Brustein, J. 2014. How an Online Survey Company Joined the $1 Billion Club. Businessweek. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-09-24/how-qualtrics-turned-online-surveys-into-a-1-billion-business.
- Brynjolfsson, E., L.M. Hitt, and H.H. Kim. 2011. Strength in Numbers: How Does Data-Driven Decision Making Affect Firm Performance? Social Science Research Network (April).Google Scholar
- Creswell, J.W. 1998. Qualitative Inquiry and Research Design: Choosing Among Five Traditions. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Davenport, T.H. 2013. Keep Up with Your Quants. Harvard Business Review 91 (July–August): 120–123.Google Scholar
- Davenport, T.H., and J.G. Harris. 2010. Analytics at Work: Smarter Decisions, Better Results. Boston: Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- Davenport, T.H., and D.J. Patil. 2012. Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century. Harvard Business Review 90 (October): 70–76.Google Scholar
- Gantz, J., and D. Reinsel. 2012. The Digital Universe in 2020: Big Data, Bigger Digital Shadows, and Biggest Growth in the Far East. IDC Analyze the Future 3: 1–16.Google Scholar
- Gummesson, E. 2000. Qualitative Methods in Management Research. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Harriott, J. 2013. A Leader’s Guide to Incorporating Big Data Across the Organization. Marketing Insights (Spring): 34–41.Google Scholar
- How Amazon Uses the Wish List to Drive a Better Customer Experience. 2011. http://jlwatsonconsulting.typepad.com/my-blog/2011/06/how-amazon-uses-the-wish-list-to-drive-a-better-customer-experience.html.
- Ji, C., Y. Li, W. Qiu, Y. Jin, Y. Xu, U. Awada, and K. Li. 2012. Big Data Processing: Big Challenges and Opportunities. Journal of Interconnection Networks 13 (3 & 4): 1–19.Google Scholar
- Krishnan, K. 2014. 10 Mistakes Enterprises Make in Big Data Projects. http://www.ibmbigdatahub.com/blog/10-mistakes-enterprises-make-big-data-projects.
- Lee, Y., S. Madnick, R. Wang, F. Wang, and H. Zhang. 2014. A Cubic Framework for the Chief Data Officer: Succeeding in a World of Big Data. MIS Quarterly Executive 13 (1): 1–13.Google Scholar
- Lin, P.P. 2014. What CPAs Need to Know About Big Data. The CPA Journal (November): 50–55.Google Scholar
- Liu, Y. 2015. Big Data and Predictive Business Analytics. Journal of Business Forecasting 33 (4): 40–42.Google Scholar
- Manyika, J., M. Chui, B. Brown, J. Bughin, R. Dobbs, C. Roxburgh, and A. Hung-Byers. 2011. Big Data: The Next Frontier for Innovation, Competition, and Productivity, 1–3. New York: McKinsey Global Institute.Google Scholar
- Marchand, D.A., and J. Peppard. 2013. Why IT Fumbles Analytics. Harvard Business Review 91 (January–February): 104–112.Google Scholar
- Markham, S.K., M. Kowolenko, and T.L. Michaelis. 2015. Unstructured Text Analysis to Support New Product Development Decisions. Research-Technology Management 58 (2): 30–38.Google Scholar
- Martinek, L., and C. Stedman. 2014. Big Data Analytics Definition. http://searchbusinessanalytics.techtarget.com/definition/big-data-analytics.
- McAfee, A., and E. Brynjolfsson. 2012. Big Data: The Management Revolution. Harvard Business Review 90 (October): 61–68.Google Scholar
- Merett, R. 2015. Where are Big Data and Analytics Heading in 2015? http://www.cio.com.au/article/559668/where-big-data-analytics-heading-2015/.
- Milliken, A.L. 2015. Transforming Big Data into Supply Chain Analytics. Journal of Business Forecasting 33 (4): 23–27.Google Scholar
- Nichols, W. 2013. Advertising Analytics 2.0. Harvard Business Review 91 (March): 60–68.Google Scholar
- Paper, D., Z. Ugray, and J. Johnson. 2015. Mega Data Value Creation: A Roadmap to Success. Journal of Information Technology Cases and Application Research 16: 3–4 119–126.Google Scholar
- Pare, G. 2004. Investigating Information Systems with Positivist Case Study Research. Communications of the AIS 13: 233–264.Google Scholar
- Parise, S., B. Iyer, and D. Vesset. 2012. Four Strategies to Capture and Create Value from Big Data. Ivey Business Journal (July/August). http://iveybusinessjournal.com/publication/four-strategies-to-capture-and-create-value-from-big-data/.
- Patton, M.Q. 2002. Qualitative Research and Evaluation Methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- Ross, J.W., C.M. Beath, and A. Quaadras. 2013. You May Not Need Big Data After All. Harvard Business Review 91 (December): 90–98.Google Scholar
- Santaferraro, J. 2013. Filling the Demand for Data Scientists: A Five-Point Plan. Business Intelligence Journal 18 (4): 13–18.Google Scholar
- Shah, S., A. Horne, and J. Capella. 2012. Good Data Won’t Guarantee Good Decisions. Harvard Business Review 90 (April): 23–25.Google Scholar
- Wegener, R., and V. Sinha. 2013. The Value of Big Data: How Analytics Differentiates Winners. Atlanta: Bain & Company.Google Scholar
- Yin, R.K. 2014. Case Study Research: Design and Methods. Thousand Oaks: Sage.Google Scholar
- YouTube Statistics. 2014. http://www.youtube.com/yt/press/statistics.html.