Secret City and Micromarkets
The crime drama series, Secret City, offers an illuminating case study of the changing dynamics of the Australian television landscape and the global impact of Nordic noir. Produced for the subscription TV network, Foxtel, Secret City was destined to become one of its suite of drama offerings, sitting alongside European and American series on the Showcase network and enhancing the Foxtel brand image. As interviews with the Foxtel personnel involved reveal, in terms of both its content and style, Secret City was designed to appeal to a ‘global micro-niche audience’ for similar kinds of TV crime.
- Ang, Ien, Gay Hawkins, and Lamia Dabboussy. 2008. The SBS Story: The Challenge of Diversity. Sydney: UNSW Press.Google Scholar
- Barrett, Dan. 2016. Secret City Thrives on Scandi-Noir Ambition. Mediaweek. https://mediaweek.com.au/secret-city-thrives-on-scandi-noir-ambition. Accessed 15 Aug 2017.
- Bertrand, Ina, and William D. Routt. 2007. Story of the Kelly Gang. Australian Teachers of Media (ATOM).Google Scholar
- Cameron, Milton. 2012. Experiments in Modern Living: Scientists’ Houses in Canberra 1950–1970. Canberra: ANU E Press. http://epress.anu.edu.au/. Accessed 1 Feb 2018.
- Crowley, Ross. 2017. Interview. 2 November.Google Scholar
- Esser, Andrea. 2017. Form, Platform and the Formation of Transnational Audiences: A Case Study of How Danish TV Drama Captured Television Viewers in the UK. Critical Studies in Television: The International Journal of Television Studies 3 (12).Google Scholar
- Goyal, Manish, Mayanne Q. Hancock, and Homayoun Hatami. 2012. Selling into Micromarkets. Harvard Business Review, July–August. https://hbr.org/2012/07/selling-into-micromarkets. Accessed 23 Feb 2018.
- Hill, Annette, and Sue Turnbull. 2016. Nordic Noir. Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Criminology and Criminal Justice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- IMDb. 2018. Secret City. https://pro.imdb.com/title/tt4976512/awards.
- Knox, David. 2016a. Secret City Deals in Canberra’s House of Cards. TV Tonight.Google Scholar
- ———. 2016b. Secret City Is Top Non-Sports Drawcard on Pay TV. TV Tonight.Google Scholar
- Koziol, Michael. 2018. US Perpetrating a ‘Diplomatic Insult’ on Australia, Says Former Deputy PM Tim Fischer. The Sydney Morning Herald, December 3. http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/us-perpetrating-a-diplomatic-insult-on-australia-says-former-deputy-pm-tim-fischer-20180101-h0cah7.html. Accessed 8 Jan 2018.
- Majbritt Jensen, Pia, and Marion McCutcheon. 2017. Ratings Behaving Madly: Danish TV Drama’s Fortuitous Success in Australia. Paper presented at ANZCA 2017, The University of Sydney, 4–7 July.Google Scholar
- Mason, Max. 2016. CEO Says Local Content Key to Foxtel’s Future. Australian Financial Review, 17 November, p. 29.Google Scholar
- Mathieson, Craig. 2017. Foxtel Has a Dramatic Plan to Make HBO-Quality Shows. Sydney Morning Herald, 6 July. http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/foxtel-has-a-dramatic-plan-to-make-hboquality-shows-20170629-gx1nl5.html. Accessed 15 Aug 2017.
- McCredie Dando, Alice, and Brian Karlovsky. 2016. Emma Freeman, Joanna Werner on Starry Matchbox Miniseries Secret City. IF Magazine. https://www.if.com.au/emma-freeman-joanna-werner-on-starry-matchbox-miniseries-secret-city/. Accessed 15 August 2017.
- McKee, Alan. 2001. Australian Television: A Genealogy of Great Moments. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Murdoch, Lindsay. 2018. Chinese Paper Warns Australia on ‘Interference’ in South China Sea. The Sydney Morning Herald, January 1. http://www.smh.com.au/world/chinese-paper-warns-australia-on-interference-in-south-china-sea-20180101-h0c4ge.html. Accessed 8 Jan 2018.
- Raggatt, Matthew. 2016. It’s No Secret: ACT Funds Hope to Emulate TV Series Success. The Canberra Times, June 5. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-funds-hope-to-emulate-secret-city-success-20160603-gpbac0.html.
- SBS. 2018. SBS OnDemand. https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/programs/drama. Accessed 8 Jan.
- Thompson, Phillip. 2012. Ward Furniture Legacy Lives. The Canberra Times, July 8. http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/ward-furniture-legacy-lives-20120707-21o47.html. Accessed 1 Feb 2018.
- Tourism Australia. 2018. Weather in Canberra. https://www.australia.com/en-us/facts-and-planning/weather-in-australia/weather-in-canberra.html. Accessed 8 Jan.
- Turnbull, Sue, and Marion McCutcheon. 2018. Quality Vs Value: The Case of The Kettering Incident. In Companion to Australian Cinema, ed. Felicity Collins, Jane Landman, and Susan Bye. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell (forthcoming).Google Scholar
- Westfield, Mark. 2000. The Gatekeepers: The Global Media Battle to Control Australia’s Pay TV. Sydney: Pluto Press Australia.Google Scholar
- Win, Penny. 2017. Interview. 2 November.Google Scholar